Ne-Yo joins Tim McGraw on stage in unusual mash-up
Nashville gets a does of R&B at country super-star's show
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Ne-Yo feels right at home in Music City.
The silky-voiced R&B star joined Tim McGraw for a surprise performance Wednesday night. The two sang a pair of duets for a crowd of a few hundred invited guests at a private event on the eve of the Country Music Association Awards.
"For me, I feel like in another life I might've been a country artist," Ne-Yo said in an interview after the performance.
And he's not joking. He's found lots to love about country music since first joining McGraw for a Nashville-style songwriting session a few years back.
"Faith Hill actually made me fried chicken," Ne-Yo said. "She cooked fried chicken for me and it was fantastic. I knew I was coming out here to write, so I was expecting to go to like a studio and hear some skeletal track and then just go from there. I went to Tim and Faith's house. It was me, Tim and a guy with a guitar in the living room as the kids ran around, and it was the greatest writing experience I've ever had in my life."
The two sang McGraw's "Only Human" from his "Emotional Traffic" album. Then they wrapped up with Ne-Yo's "She Is" from his Nov. 6 release "R.E.D."
A loose, upbeat McGraw threw the party to debut new material from his first Big Machine Records album "Two Lanes of Freedom," out Feb. 5. He will perform new single "One Of Those Nights" on the CMA Awards and will join Hill in a tribute to Willie Nelson.
Ne-Yo can't make it to the show Thursday night. He's shooting a video for "Forever Now." But he vowed to return to Nashville soon.
"We're definitely going to do it again," he said. "I met a lot of very important people in there. I met Tim's management and the Big Machine people, and just expect to see some more of this cross-pollination happening."
Copyright (2012) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)