NBC schedule shuffle sends 'Smash' to Saturdays, 'Ready for Love' to Tuesdays
Musical drama being sent off to die in favor of reality dating show
NBC has very quickly gone from being the highest-rated network this season to third place — thanks in part to a February sweeps period where the network finished fifth, behind Univision — and so it's back to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, with a series of moves that will banish the doomed "Smash" to Saturdays and turn dating game show "Ready for Love" into the network's last hope to avoid the cellar for another full season.
Among the changes announced this evening:
* "Smash" will move to Saturdays at 9 p.m. beginning April 6. NBC promises the struggling second-year musical "will air its entire season of 17 episodes." But when you get sent to Saturday, you're done. "Bombshell" has bombed.
* " Ready for Love," a dating show produced by Eva Longoria, was supposed to air on Sundays. Instead, it will air regularly on Tuesdays after "The Voice," from 9-11, beginning on April 9.
* As a result, "Celebrity Apprentice" will be regularly scheduled for two hours a week, Sundays from 9-11, beginning April 14 until the end of May.
* To fill some of the gap left by the absence of "Ready for Love," encore episodes of "The Voice" will air on Sunday, March 31 and April 7, from 7-10.
* To make room for "Ready for Love," the final two episodes of "Go On" season 1 will air Thursdays at 9:30 on April 4 and 11, following "The Office." The one-hour "New Normal" season finale will air Tuesday, April 2, from 9-10.
Once "Smash" bombed upon its return, there had been speculation that NBC would swap its timeslot with the upcoming "Hannibal," but the Hannibal Lecter prequel series remains in the Thursday at 10 death slot, while NBC is hoping that "The Voice," "Revolution" and "Ready for Love" will be enough to avoid more statistical humiliation.
News From Our Partners
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One