NBC orders comedy pilot 'Welcome to the Family' while CW re-selects 'Selection'
'Supernatural' Taylor Hackford to exec produce new drama
Pilot season is in full swing, and NBC continues to prove is commitment to finding new comedy gold, while The CW has its eye on dramatic fare.
After a busy few days of TV pilot news at other networks, The CW picked up two new pilots today, including a revamped version of "The Selection," a futuristic romance that the network originally passed on last year.
Set in a war-ravaged world three centuries from now, "Selection" centers on a young woman who competes for the title of queen of her battle-scarred realm. It's based on a series of books by Kiera Cass, and The CW seems to be looking to the success of "The Hunger Games" as inspiration.
Last year's rejected pilot starred Aimee Teegarden ("Friday Night Lights"). Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain are writing the retooled script for Warner Bros. Television.
The network also selected "Company Town, a Navy drama pilot from director Taylor Hackford ("Ray," "Parker") and Sera Gamble ("Supernatural"), according to The Hollywood Reporter. Hackford will write and direct the pilot exploring the repercussions of scandal on a Virginia naval base.
Meanwhile, NBC has ordered up the single-camera comedy pilot "Welcome to the Family" from Mike Sikowitz ("Rules of Engagement," "Grounded for Life"), who will write and executive produce.
Sony Pictures Television's "Family" details the comedic situations that ensue when an unplanned pregnancy brings together a white family and a Latino family.
It's the eleventh comedy pilot ordered by NBC, including titles like "Assistance," "Donor Party," "The Gates," plus projects from "The Office" co-creator Greg Daniels and former "Will and Grace" star Sean Hayes.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition