My Morning Jacket's Jim James begins 'A New Life' with new song: Listen
Frontman readies release of solo album 'Regions of Light and Sound of God'
My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James is striking out on his own, his first solo album "Regions of Light and Sound of God" is widely reported to be directly inspired by "God's Man," a 1929 woodcut novel by Lynd Ward. But, judging from the new single "A New Life," James is getting inspire from some classic pop icons as well.
"Life" begins as a sparse, acoustic ditty that's less bombastic than much of MMJ's output, and recalls his fascination with George Harrison at his most stripped-down (he paid tribe to the former Beatle on a 2009 covers EP).
James' haunting voice, some faraway percussion and a smooth, melodic bassline eventually give way to an old-fashioned rock-meets-Motown sound, buoyed by some horns, strings and various upbeat instruments. That's when James' take on Vegas-era Elvis kicks in.
It's an alternately somber and joyous four-and-a-half minutes, like all great pop songs should be.
"Regions of Light and Sound of God" is out February 5.
What do you think of the song?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
over 1 year ago
over 1 year ago
|Discuss Gear Talk on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'