My Morning Jacket's Jim James begins 'A New Life' with new song: Listen
Frontman readies release of solo album 'Regions of Light and Sound of God'
My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James is striking out on his own, his first solo album "Regions of Light and Sound of God" is widely reported to be directly inspired by "God's Man," a 1929 woodcut novel by Lynd Ward. But, judging from the new single "A New Life," James is getting inspire from some classic pop icons as well.
"Life" begins as a sparse, acoustic ditty that's less bombastic than much of MMJ's output, and recalls his fascination with George Harrison at his most stripped-down (he paid tribe to the former Beatle on a 2009 covers EP).
James' haunting voice, some faraway percussion and a smooth, melodic bassline eventually give way to an old-fashioned rock-meets-Motown sound, buoyed by some horns, strings and various upbeat instruments. That's when James' take on Vegas-era Elvis kicks in.
It's an alternately somber and joyous four-and-a-half minutes, like all great pop songs should be.
"Regions of Light and Sound of God" is out February 5.
What do you think of the song?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
over 1 year ago
over 1 year ago
|Discuss Gear Talk on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video] Oreo 'Wonderfilled' Ad – What's the Song?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival