Music Power Rankings: Taylor Swift, Madonna and Carly Rae Jepson top the list
Why is Jermaine Jackson on there?
1. Taylor Swift: “Red” has sold 1.5 million in two weeks, quickly catapulting the title to the top-selling album released in 2012. Swift takes on a whole new meaning.
2. The Civil Wars: After four years together and only one full-length album, the co-ed pair abruptly pull out of their European tour and announce a hiatus. Where’s Abraham Lincoln when you need him?
3. Madonna: This week she celebrates the 30th anniversary of her debut on the Billboard charts....she might just make it afterall.
4. Kendrick Lamar: His album debuts at No. 2. As if that’s not enough, you know you’re hot when Lady Gaga leaks the version of “Bitch Don’t Kill My Vibe” that didn’t make said album.
5. Christina Aguilera: She recreates “Your Body” with only a phone, pencils and other office supplies. on “Jimmy Fallon.” Staples’s stock goes up 10%.
6. Grease: the ‘70s musical gets new love from both “Glee,” which kicks off a two-week story arc this week and, Sandy (Olivia Newton-John) and Danny (John Travolta). Will it be enough to catapult the soundtrack back onto the Billboard 200?
7. Diane Warren: The songwriting master options her 2,000-tune catalog for use for a Broadway musical. Can we call it “Because You Loved Me, I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing?”
8. Carly Rae Jepsen: You know you’ve arrived when a Ukranian singer accuses you for stealing “Call Me Maybe.” Sue me maybe?
9. Miley Cyrus: She’s working with Pharrell Williams on her new album, which sounds like it will combine country and hip-hop. That really is Dirty South.
10. Jermaine Jackson: No, it’s not really a power move, but it’s so bizarre that we wanted to bring it to your attention: This week, Jackson petitioned a court to change his name to Jermaine Jacksun for “artistic reasons.” Does his son, the fantastically named Jermajesty, approve?
News From Our Partners
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013