Music Power Rankings: Mumford & Sons and Adele vie for the top spot
1. Mumford & Sons: The lads from Britain land the biggest-selling first-week sales of any album this year as “Babel” sells 600,000 copies. Enjoy while it lasts, boys, Taylor Swift will blow past that with “Red’s” Oct. 22 bow.
2. Adele: “Skyfall” falls right to the top of the iTunes chart mere minutes after its release. Could it debut atop the Billboard Hot 100 based on only four days of airplay and sales?
3. Psy: It looks like the South Korean rapper is going to ride “Gangnam Style” all the way to the top of Billboard Hot 100 next week (unless Taylor Swift or Adele are album to stop him). He will forever join the ranks of the Macarena and Lambada. And we all remember the names of the two artists who had those hits, right?
4. Foo Fighters: The band signs off for a hiatus, but leader Dave Grohl assures the world that they aren’t breaking up and that he loves the band as much as the rest of us do
5. The Replacements: The much-beloved Minneapolis alternative band reunites for a charity EP to help ailing former drummer Slim Dunlap. Maybe they can convince the Smiths to get back together.
6. Rush: The Canadian power trio finally gets what its millions of fans have been clamoring for for more than a decade: a nomination for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Can we have “A Show Of Hands” of who thinks they should get in?
7. Justin Bieber: After yakking on stage on the opening night of the “Believe” tour, he comes to Los Angeles for two sold-out shows at Staples Center. If photos on my FB and Twitter pages are any indication, he, no doubt, spent more time taking photos with every celeb’s young daughter than he did on stage.
8. “American Idol”: Does it matter if the Nicki Minaj/Mariah Carey fight footage was staged? Whether real or fake, it managed to get the focus squarely on “American Idol” again and away from its competitors. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
9. Viva Digital: Digital album sales are up 15% over this time period last year. It’s still not enough to put the overall market ahead of this time last year, but it probably means that your grandma has finally learned how to download her favorite Susan Boyle album.
10. The Beatles: Friday marked the 50th anniversary of the release of the Beatles’ first single, “Love Me Do.” And the world changed forever. Thank you seems inadequate.
2013 | Drama | RSummary: Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill have boundless energy in the story of a real-life commodities crook who earned millions through scummy small-time stock trades.Director: Martin Scorsese
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie
2013 | Comedy | NRSummary: Insanely funny comedy show created by Amy Schumer, who stars in brilliantly funny sketches about sex, city living, dating, and friendship.Director: Daniel Powell, Amy Schumer (creators)
Cast: Amy Schumer, Kevin Kane, Mike Houston
1995 | Mystery | NRSummary: Denzel Washington plays an out of work WWII vet who takes the wrong job and is soon neck-deep in a mess of politics, murder, and jazz in '40s Los Angeles.Director: Carl Franklin
Cast: Denzel Washington, Tom Sizemore, Jennifer Beals
1993 | Sports | PGSummary: Emotionally powerful sports classic featuring Sean Astin as a skinny high school kid with big football dreams and the determination to make his way towards his dream team at Notre Dame.Director: David Anspaugh
Cast: Sean Astin, Jon Favreau, Ned Beatty
2008 | Science Fiction | PGSummary: Animated series continues the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker as they battle the Emperor Palpatine, Count Dooku and General Grievous, but also takes time to explore other smaller characters in the Star Wars universe.Director: George Lucas (creator)
Cast: Tom Kane, Dee Bradley Baker, Matt Lanter
1996 | Crime | RSummary: Jerry, a small-town Minnesota car salesman is bursting at the seams with debt... but he's got a plan. He's going to hire two thugs to kidnap his wife in a scheme to collect a hefty ransom from his wealthy father-in-law. It's going to be a snap and nobody's going to get hurt... until people start ...Director: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Cast: William H. Macy, Frances McDormand, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare
1997 | Crime | RSummary: Quentin Tarantino adaptats an Elmore Leonard novel into this story of a few increasingly desperate people scraping to get by. It has deep soul, a wicked sense of humor, and Samuel L. Jackson, Robert De Niro, Pam Grier, and Robert Forster.Director: Quentin Tarantino
Cast: Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Forster
2007 | Comedy | PGSummary: Newlyweds Nick (Ice Cube) and Suzanne (Long) decide to move to the suburbs to provide a better life for their two kids. But their idea of a dream home is disturbed by a contractor (McGinley) with a bizarre approach to business.Director: Steve Carr
Cast: John C. McGinley, Ice Cube, Nia Long, Aleisha Allen
2013 | Thriller | RSummary: Based on the true story of Daniel Lugo (Mark Wahlberg) a Miami bodybuilder who wants to live the American dream. He would like to have the money that other people have. So he enlists the help of fellow bodybuilder Adrian Doorbal (Anthony Mackie) and ex-convict, Christian bodybuilder Paul Doyle (D...Director: Michael Bay
Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Anthony Mackie, Tony Shalhoub
Let Streaming Genie help you.