Music Power Rankings: Coachella, Luke Bryan and Jay-Z
1. Coachella: The first weekend of the desert alternative music festival gets underway. Rinse and repeat next weekend.
2. Brad Paisley: He wanted to “start a conversation” about race with his song “Accidental Racist” with LL Cool J. He may have gotten more than he bargained for, although it looks like the album will be his eighth Top 10 on the Billboard 200, so all press is good press.
3. Twitter: Following the company’s purchase of music tracking site We Are Hunted, the only question is how soon will Twitter’s music app launch? It could be while you are reading this and waiting for your invitation to music.twitter.app.
4. Republic Records: Speaking of Coachella, the road to Indio, Calif. is paved with signs promoting Republic Records, home to five acts playing the festival. In a canny marketing move, the label bought eight billboards along the road to Coachella. Who’s in now for the road to Bonnaroo?
5. “Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead”: The “Wizard Of Oz” ditty climbs the UK charts following the passing of the polarizing former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. However, as far as we know, a house falling on her was not the cause of death.
6. Psy: Can “Gentleman” come close to topping “Gangnam Style?” All we know is the S. Korean artist is drawing more attention in his native country than the missiles possibly pointed its way by its neighbors to the north.
7. Jay-Z: C’mon Hova... No more songs like “Open Letter,” where you address a litany of negative press. We know you can take the heat. Stop your whining. Can you talk about me in a song now?
8. Rick Ross: He apologizes a lot too late for his rape lyrics in “U.O.E.N.O” after Reebok drops him like it’s hot. Smart move, Reebok... last we checked, women buy your shoes too.
9. Luke Bryan: No one was more shocked that he captured the ACM Awards’ coveted entertainer of the year trophy more than he was. One of the truly all-time great award reactions with humility and delight ruling the day.
10. Universal Music Group: A lawsuit alleges there is “massive marijuana use” going on at the Santa Monica headquarters. Between that and the cocaine ring bust a while back, it looks like UMG may have found its way to deal with continuing declining album sales.
2007 | Comedy | PGSummary: Newlyweds Nick (Ice Cube) and Suzanne (Long) decide to move to the suburbs to provide a better life for their two kids. But their idea of a dream home is disturbed by a contractor (McGinley) with a bizarre approach to business.Director: Steve Carr
Cast: John C. McGinley, Ice Cube, Nia Long, Aleisha Allen
2008 | Science Fiction | PGSummary: Animated series continues the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker as they battle the Emperor Palpatine, Count Dooku and General Grievous, but also takes time to explore other smaller characters in the Star Wars universe.Director: George Lucas (creator)
Cast: Tom Kane, Dee Bradley Baker, Matt Lanter
1996 | Crime | RSummary: Jerry, a small-town Minnesota car salesman is bursting at the seams with debt... but he's got a plan. He's going to hire two thugs to kidnap his wife in a scheme to collect a hefty ransom from his wealthy father-in-law. It's going to be a snap and nobody's going to get hurt... until people start ...Director: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Cast: William H. Macy, Frances McDormand, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare
2013 | Drama | RSummary: Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill have boundless energy in the story of a real-life commodities crook who earned millions through scummy small-time stock trades.Director: Martin Scorsese
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie
1997 | Crime | RSummary: Quentin Tarantino adaptats an Elmore Leonard novel into this story of a few increasingly desperate people scraping to get by. It has deep soul, a wicked sense of humor, and Samuel L. Jackson, Robert De Niro, Pam Grier, and Robert Forster.Director: Quentin Tarantino
Cast: Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Forster
1993 | Sports | PGSummary: Emotionally powerful sports classic featuring Sean Astin as a skinny high school kid with big football dreams and the determination to make his way towards his dream team at Notre Dame.Director: David Anspaugh
Cast: Sean Astin, Jon Favreau, Ned Beatty
2013 | Comedy | NRSummary: Insanely funny comedy show created by Amy Schumer, who stars in brilliantly funny sketches about sex, city living, dating, and friendship.Director: Daniel Powell, Amy Schumer (creators)
Cast: Amy Schumer, Kevin Kane, Mike Houston
2013 | Thriller | RSummary: Based on the true story of Daniel Lugo (Mark Wahlberg) a Miami bodybuilder who wants to live the American dream. He would like to have the money that other people have. So he enlists the help of fellow bodybuilder Adrian Doorbal (Anthony Mackie) and ex-convict, Christian bodybuilder Paul Doyle (D...Director: Michael Bay
Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Anthony Mackie, Tony Shalhoub
1995 | Mystery | NRSummary: Denzel Washington plays an out of work WWII vet who takes the wrong job and is soon neck-deep in a mess of politics, murder, and jazz in '40s Los Angeles.Director: Carl Franklin
Cast: Denzel Washington, Tom Sizemore, Jennifer Beals
Let Streaming Genie help you.