Movie Power Rankings: 'Twilight: Breaking Dawn' returns to the top spot
Where do 'Django Unchained,' 'Spider-Man' and 'The Avengers' end up?
The "Twilight" series is wrapping up this November with the release of "Breaking Dawn Part 2." It's been a long and extremely successful run of films which broke box office records and turned Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner into stars. Can Summit (and their new owners Lionsgate) really say goodbye to Bella, Edward and Jacob? Or will the series be re-booted, ala "Spider-Man"? They're saying no for now, but you never know what the future may hold. Either way, just the hint of a possible re-boot is enough to place it at No. 1 this week. Meanwhile, watch the steamy new "Breaking Dawn" trailer here.
Watch the video from Crackle here:
As for the rest of this week's list...
June 22, 2012
1. "The Twilight Saga" (Last week: Not ranked)
It's baaaaaack! And it will likely be fixture on the Movie Power Rankings for a while...
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
A steep drop at the domestic box office can't stop Ridley Scott's "Alien" spin-off from reaching $200 million internationally. We still have plenty of questions though. Maybe the sequel will provide some answers.
3. "Magic Mike" (Last week: Not ranked)
Yowza! Channing Tatum, Matt Bomer and Matthew McConaughey heat things up in the red band trailer for the male stripper melodrama. Bring some $1 bills.
4. "The Amazing Spider-Man" (Last week: Not ranked)
Fun new clips and cast interviews are adding potential value to a re-boot that many hardcore fans didn't seem to want in the first place. The early reviews are mostly positive as well.
5. "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" (Last week: Not ranked)
Looks like Shredder got his wish -- the Turtles are dead. Well, actually just the new Michael Bay-produced re-boot is dead. Paramount's been having a rough time with tentpoles recently.
6. "Django Unchained" (Last week: No. 3)
Quentin Tarantino's all-star cast gets even more all-star with the addition of Jonah Hill.
7. "Star Trek 2" (Last week: Not ranked)
IMAX: The Final Frontier. J.J. Abrams is boldly going there with the highly-anticipated sequel.
8. "The Avengers" (Last week: No. 4)
Jeez, this movie has made more money than Tony Stark. Think the sequel will top it?
9. "Madagascar 3" (Last week: No. 10)
The animated prequel surprisingly upsets both Tom Cruise and Adam Sandler at the box office. Third time's a charm.
10. "Rock of Ages" and "That's My Boy" (Last week: Not ranked)
Superstars Cruise and Sandler both had a really tough time at the box office last week. Well, there's always "Mission: Impossible -- Grown Ups Protocol."
Watch the previous installment of Movie Power Rankings here.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below. Or tweet your thoughts with the hashtag #moviepowerrankings and tell us who you want to see in next week's edition.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Hear This: With “Deceptacon,” Le Tigre captured the sound of youth in a song Watch This: Walter Hill’s The Driver is all about work done well Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash
- FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion NBC's 'Siberia': New Reality-Skewing Drama Ordered for Summer
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1