Movie Power Rankings: 'The Hobbit' tops 'Star Trek Into Darkness' for No. 1
Where do 'Star Wars,' 'The Wolverine' and 'Warm Bodies' end up?
Along with all the superheroes, horror films, sequels and prequels, the weekly Movie Power Rankings are back for 2013, and the first installment of the year has a new champion with some familiar faces in "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." Although not as universally hailed as the "Lord of the Rings" films, Peter Jackson's super sized prequel continues to reign supreme at the box office, having earned $692 million worldwide, with $1 billion right around the corner. And, in case you forgot, there are still two more films to go. See what Ian McKellen had to say about reprising one of his signature roles as Gandalf.
Watch the video from Crackle here:
new full-length trailer and new photos tease "Trek" fans even more. It's our pick for the most anticipated movie of 2013.
As for the rest of this week's list... January 8, 2013.
1. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" (Last time: No. 3)
Tolkien continues to rule the box office with the iron-fist of Sauron.
2. "Star Trek Into Darkness" (Last time: No. 1)
3. "Django Unchained" (Last time: Not ranked)
As the film heats up the box office, star Jamie Foxx sat down with HitFix to talk about Quentin Tarantino's controversial, bloody ode to spaghetti westerns and blaxploitation flicks.
4. "Les Miserables" (Last time: Not ranked)
Despite mixed reviews, the epic musical is singing all the way to the bank, and Anne Hathaway could be getting her acceptance speech ready for Oscar night.
5. Academy Awards (Last time: Not ranked)
Submissions are due and the nominations are just around the corner. Who will come out as the frontrunner?
6. "Star Wars" (Last time: Not ranked)
J.J. Abrams reveals that he passed on the offer to direct the first film in the new trilogy.
7. "The Wolverine" (Last time: Not ranked)
Hugh Jackman says the film takes place after "X-Men: The Last Stand" and will feature a cameo from an unnamed team member. Any guesses?
8. "Zero Dark Thirty" (Last time: No. 2)
"The Hurt Locker" director Kathryn Bigelow's controversial Bin Laden film has been a magnet for major awards this season. Will it be her second big Oscar winner in a row?
9. "Warm Bodies" (Last time: Not ranked)
Buzz is heating up for Summit's zombie romance directed by Jonathan Levine ("50/50"). It even turned me into a zombie.
10. "Skyfall" (Last time: No. 10)
The latest James Bond adventure joins the $1 billion club at the global box office. Think they'll make a sequel?
Watch the previous installment of Movie Power Rankings here. What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below. Or tweet your thoughts with the hashtag #moviepowerrankings and tell us who you want to see in next week's edition.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
11 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!