Movie Power Rankings: 'The Hobbit' tops 'Star Trek Into Darkness' for No. 1
Where do 'Star Wars,' 'The Wolverine' and 'Warm Bodies' end up?
Along with all the superheroes, horror films, sequels and prequels, the weekly Movie Power Rankings are back for 2013, and the first installment of the year has a new champion with some familiar faces in "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." Although not as universally hailed as the "Lord of the Rings" films, Peter Jackson's super sized prequel continues to reign supreme at the box office, having earned $692 million worldwide, with $1 billion right around the corner. And, in case you forgot, there are still two more films to go. See what Ian McKellen had to say about reprising one of his signature roles as Gandalf.
Watch the video from Crackle here:
new full-length trailer and new photos tease "Trek" fans even more. It's our pick for the most anticipated movie of 2013.
As for the rest of this week's list... January 8, 2013.
1. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" (Last time: No. 3)
Tolkien continues to rule the box office with the iron-fist of Sauron.
2. "Star Trek Into Darkness" (Last time: No. 1)
3. "Django Unchained" (Last time: Not ranked)
As the film heats up the box office, star Jamie Foxx sat down with HitFix to talk about Quentin Tarantino's controversial, bloody ode to spaghetti westerns and blaxploitation flicks.
4. "Les Miserables" (Last time: Not ranked)
Despite mixed reviews, the epic musical is singing all the way to the bank, and Anne Hathaway could be getting her acceptance speech ready for Oscar night.
5. Academy Awards (Last time: Not ranked)
Submissions are due and the nominations are just around the corner. Who will come out as the frontrunner?
6. "Star Wars" (Last time: Not ranked)
J.J. Abrams reveals that he passed on the offer to direct the first film in the new trilogy.
7. "The Wolverine" (Last time: Not ranked)
Hugh Jackman says the film takes place after "X-Men: The Last Stand" and will feature a cameo from an unnamed team member. Any guesses?
8. "Zero Dark Thirty" (Last time: No. 2)
"The Hurt Locker" director Kathryn Bigelow's controversial Bin Laden film has been a magnet for major awards this season. Will it be her second big Oscar winner in a row?
9. "Warm Bodies" (Last time: Not ranked)
Buzz is heating up for Summit's zombie romance directed by Jonathan Levine ("50/50"). It even turned me into a zombie.
10. "Skyfall" (Last time: No. 10)
The latest James Bond adventure joins the $1 billion club at the global box office. Think they'll make a sequel?
Watch the previous installment of Movie Power Rankings here. What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below. Or tweet your thoughts with the hashtag #moviepowerrankings and tell us who you want to see in next week's edition.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
8 days ago
27 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas