Movie power rankings: 'The Hobbit' defeats 'The Avengers' and 'Wolverine'
Where do 'Les Miserables,' 'Robopocalypse' and 'Hitchcock' end up?
Trolls. Glowing swords. Gandalf back in his grey duds. Must be time for a new trailer for "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." The first of three films based on J.R.R. Tolkien's book, Peter Jackson's upcoming film promises to return movie fans to the elaborate fantasy world of his smash hit "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. A new poster also proudly displays Martin Freeman as Bilbo. It doesn't open for another two and a half months or so, but get used to seeing it (and the two sequels) on the Movie Power Rankings countdown.
Watch the video from Crackle here:
As for the rest of this week's list...
September 29, 2012
1."The Hobbit" (Last week: Not ranked)
"LOTR" fans are ready to make the journey to the local multiplex on December 14. "Not all who wander are lost..."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
The announcement of the nominees has been pushed up to January 10, making the Golden Globes even less important.
3. "Les Miserables" (Last week: Not ranked)
Impressive. Most impressive. Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway and the rest of the musical's cast sang their songs live on the film's set. The Academy's gotta love that.
4. "The Avengers" (Last week: No. 5)
As the summer smash landed on DVD and Blu-ray this week, Marvel's Kevin Feige revealed that we won't see a solo Hulk adventure until after "The Avengers 2" hits screens -- until at least 2016.
5. "The Lone Ranger" (Last week: Not ranked)
The financially troubled production underwent another setback with the tragic death of a crew member.
6. "The Wolverine" (Last week: Not ranked)
Hugh Jackman is back as the ornery mutant Logan, and Fox has released an ab-tastic look at the Canuck hero.
7. "Hitchcock" (Last week: Not ranked)
Anthony Hopkins looks like he was born to play the British auteur, while Helen Mirren stars as Hitch's wife, Alma. And Scarlett Johansson takes a shower as Janet Leigh. Does it sound like an Oscar contender to you? It certainly does to Fox Searchlight.
8. "Robopocalypse" (Last week: Not ranked)
After exploring American history with "Lincoln," Steven Spielberg will go back to the future with this sci-fi epic sarong Chris Hemsworth. To sweeten the deal, Anne Hathaway is now circling the project.
9. "The Expendables" (Last week: Not ranked)
Ladies first. Or, um, third in this case. "Haywire" star Gina Carano will reportedly head the all-female cast of a spin-off film, while Clint Eastwood officially passes on part 3.
10. "The Hangover Part III" (Last week: Not ranked)
The Wolf Pack is back...again. At least this time Melissa McCarthy will be along for the ride.
Watch the previous installment of Movie Power Rankings here.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below. Or tweet your thoughts with the hashtag #moviepowerrankings and tell us who you want to see in next week's edition.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
13 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3
- One Direction Thank Their Fans for 2013 Billboard Music Award Wins Drake + Jay-Z Working on New Music [Pic] Taylor Swift Gets Grossed Out When Selena Gomez + Justin Bieber Kiss Backstage at 2013 Billboard Awards [Pics]
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast? 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Spoiler Special: Burning Questions Answered 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now!
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh