Movie Power Rankings: 'Justice League' vs. 'Prometheus' for No. 1
Where do 'Dark Knight Rises,' 'Django Unchained' and 'Justice League' end up?
Ridley Scott's quasi-"Alien" prequel "Prometheus" has finally landed in theaters and the dust has yet to settle. The reviews are decidedly mixed, and the box office has been good but not great, but the divisive film seems to be sparking debate among movie-goers more so than any other mainstream studio film in recent history. All the questions and ongoing arguments have helped land it at No. 1 on our list. Pre-release interviews with the cast and director Scott are worth re-visiting for those who still have questions/complaints about the ambiguous film. For now, it's on top, but how will "Prometheus" go down in history?
Watch the Movie Power Rankings video from Crackle here:
As for the rest of this week's list...
June 14, 2012
1. "Prometheus" (Last week: No. 3)
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
2. "Justice League" (Last week: Not ranked)
It's on again. There was no way that Warner Bros. and DC Comics were going to just sit back and relax while Marvel's "The Avengers" racked up ten kajillion dollars. Instead, the team is moving forward with a film featuring Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and everyone else. We have a few questions.
3. "Django Unchained" (Last week: Not ranked)
The "D" is silent in the first trailer for Quentin Tarantino's upcoming super-western.
4. "The Avengers" (Last week: No. 4)
An extended cut -- some 35 minutes longer -- is inevitable for Blu-ray/DVD, but this puppy might be shown in theaters as well. Get excited.
5. "Dark Knight Rises" (Last week: No. 4)
The upcoming film is definitely your last chance to experience the world of Batman as envisaged by director Christopher Nolan.
6. "Anchorman 2" (Last week: Not ranked)
The long-awaited sequel might not even start shooting until the far-off year of 2013. It's already been a long wait, thanks in part to Steve Carell's ongoing commitment to "The Office."
7. "Snow White and the Huntsman" (Last week: No. 1)
Screenwriter David Koepp's resume is loaded with new classics ("Jurassic Park," "Carlito's Way," "Spider-Man") and duds ("Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," "Angels & Demons"). Now that he's been hired to pen the script, where will the "Snow White" sequel fall?
8. "Thor 2" (Last week: Not ranked)
Zachary Levi ("Chuck") may finally be getting a shot at playing Fandral, after missing the chance the first time around. It is his destiny.
9. "The Hunger Games" (Last week: No. 10)
The leggy hit has earned over $400 million domestically, and now Philip Seymour Hoffman may be joining the sequel, "Catching Fire."
10. "Madagascar 3" (Last week: Not ranked)
The DreamWorks Animation threequel racked up even more coin than "Prometheus" over opening weekend. Kids run the world.
Watch the previous installment of Movie Power Rankings here.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below. Or tweet your thoughts with the hashtag #moviepowerrankings and tell us who you want to see in next week's edition.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
15 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Angry Mobs and "Master of Puppets" 'Timecop' Being Remade, As All Movies Eventually Must 'We're The Millers' Red Band NSFW Trailer: Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis Smuggle Drugs
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single Watch This: Ronin is a triumph of crime-flick economy Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online