Movie power rankings: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' flies to No. 1
Where do 'Kick-Ass 2,' 'Iron Man 3' and 'The Dark Tower' end up?
Marvel Studios' Phase Two is well under way with "Iron Man 3" in production and "Thor: The Dark World" and "Captain AMerica" Winter Soldier" following soon, and now they're making some headway on what could be their biggest film yet -- "Guardians of the Galaxy." Director James Gunn ("Super") is Marvel's somewhat unlikely top choice to direct the high-flying sci-fi/superhero franchise-starter that will tie into "The Avengers 2," and is rumored feature the villain Thanos glimpsed at the end of the first "Avengers" film. Die hard fans have a while to wait however, as "Guardians" is scheduled to open August 1, 2014.
Watch the video from Crackle here:
Will Jim Carrey join the mayhem as "The Colonel" in the sequel? Lionsgate seems pretty confident about the sequel, even staking out the prime real estate of June 28, 2013 for a release date.
As for the rest of this week's list:
August 25, 2012
1. "Guardians of the Galaxy" (Last week: Not ranked)
Has Marvel chosen a director for what could be their biggest movie yet?
2. "Kick-Ass 2: Balls to the Wall" (Last week: Not ranked)
3. "The Dark Tower" (Last week: Not ranked)
Universal passed. Warner Bros. passed. Can Media Rights Capital actually bring to life the Ron Howard-directed Stephen King adaptation? Will Russell Crowe still star as The Gunslinger?
4. "Daredevil" (Last week: Not ranked)
With director Joe Carnahan out of the picture, will Fox be able to reboot the series before the contractual clock runs out. Will the rights revert back to Marvel Studios? There are so many questions for Matt Murdock -- good thing he's a lawyer.
5. "The Expendables 2" (Last week: No. 5)
The sequel punched its way to a $28. 8 million opening and a strong second weekend, so all signs point to "yes" for a planned third installment.
6. "Snow White and the Huntsman 2" (Last week: Not ranked)
Universal is being cagey about the potential sequel. They've said Kristen Stewart has not been dropped from a sequel, but we don't know if a sequel is actually still in the works or not. Maybe we'll be seeing that rumored "Huntsman" spin-off instead.
7. "Iron Man 3" (Last week: Not ranked)
Robert Downey Jr.'s ankle injury has delayed production, but the show will go on...just maybe with a few more stuntmen.
8. "Fast Six" (Last week: Not ranked)
We got our first look at the latest Fast and Furious" sequel, showing muscleman Dwayne Johnson relaxing with his sexy co-star Gina Carano ("Haywire"). Just wait 'til you see them in action.
9. "The Dark Knight Rises" (Last week: No. 6)
The unstoppable Batman film crossed the $400 million domestic mark last week and has earned over $900 million worldwide. How soon before Warner Bros. officially announces a reboot?
10. "The Counselor" (Last week: Not ranked)
Ridley Scott has paused production on his latest film after his brother Tony Scott passed away. "The Counselor," written by Cormac McCarthy, stars Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Cameron Diaz and Penelope Cruz.
Watch the previous installment of Movie Power Rankings here.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below. Or tweet your thoughts with the hashtag #moviepowerrankings and tell us who you want to see in next week's edition.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013