Movie power rankings: 'Dark Knight Rises' can't be beat
Where do 'The Master,' 'Great Gatsby' and 'X-Men' end up?
"The Dark Knight Rises" has been the center of an unfortunate news cycle this summer after the Aurora shooting, but at the box office, the film keeps rising. Christopher Nolan's final Batman film continues to rule the box office for the third week in a row (nice try, "Total Recall"). It has earned over $370 million domestically and a total of over $730 to date worldwide. Will it continue its reign on the Movie Power Rankings, or will a new player knock it from the top spot?
Watch the video from Crackle here:
As for the rest of this week's list...
August 10, 2012
1. "The Dark Knight Rises" (Last week: No. 1)
Word has it that even President Obama likes the film -- especially Anne Hathaway's turn as Catwoman.
2. "The Master" (Last week: No. 3)
Paul Thomas Anderson unveiled his Oscar contender to a surprised L.A. audience after a screening of Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining." That takes guts.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Will Fox finally get around to rebooting the superhero franchise? Will they have to part with Silver Surfer and Galactus in order to do so? Stay tuned, true believers.
4."The Great Gatsby" (Last week: Not ranked)
Baz Luhrmann's 3D take on the F. Scott Fitzgerald novel will have to wait...until next summer.
5. "The Bourne Legacy" (Last week: Not ranked)
The Jeremy Renner starrer should finally knock "Dark Knight Rises" from the top of the box office this weekend, but the question remains -- will audiences miss Matt Damon?
6. "X-Men: Days of Future Past" (Last week: Not ranked)
With the announcement that the next mutant movie will be based on the beloved story, will we get a chance to see the stars of Bryan Singer's films interact with the "First Class" cast?
7. Academy Awards (Last week: Not ranked)
Jimmy Fallon is out as potential host for the next Oscars ceremony. Who will be in?
8. "Prometheus 2" (Last week: Not ranked)
You asked for it (well, maybe some of you did), you got it.
9. "Thor 2: The Dark World" (Last week" Not ranked)
Former Doctor Who Christopher Eccleston (so memorable in Danny Boyle's debut "Shallow Grave" all those years ago) has joined the Marvel sequel as the main villain.
10. "Dark Zero Thirty" (Last week: Not ranked)
The brand new trailer lets us know that Oscar-winning director Kathryn Bigelow ("The Hurt Locker," "Point Break") isn't messing around when it comes to capturing bin Laden allover again.
Watch the previous installment of Movie Power Rankings here.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below. Or tweet your thoughts with the hashtag #moviepowerrankings and tell us who you want to see in next week's edition.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
16 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6 Adds 'The Shield's CCH Pounder As… David Boreanaz, Minka Kelly, Tom Felton and More Go 'Full Circle' for DirecTV Syfy's 'Helix': David Slade Directing 'Battlestar Galactica' Creator Ron Moore's New Series
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- Is There Hope For Jaime & Brienne Shippers? PHOTOS: Inside Lucille Austero's New Apartment WATCH: Full-Length Trailers For 'The Millers,' 'Hostages' And 'Mom'
- Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My?
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)