Movie power rankings: Ben Affleck's 'Argo' sails to No. 1
Where do 'Robocop,' 'Jack Ryan' and 'The Hobbit' end up?
Now that festival season is fully underway in Toronto, Telluride and Venice, Ben Affleck's real life drama about the 1979 Iran hostage crisis is receiving great reviews and may be among the front runners for the Oscars. Special acclaim seems to be going to co-star Alan Arkin, who is part of the large ensemble cast that also includes Affleck, Bryan Cranston, John Goodman and Kyle Chandler. After the success of "Gone Baby Gone" and "The Town," "Argo" is sure to cement Affleck as one of Hollywood's most in-demand directors.
Watch the video from Crackle here:
As for the rest of this week's list...
September 8, 2012
1. "Argo" (Last week: Not ranked)
Will the Oscars follow in the footsteps of the Emmys, and give a trophy to co-star Cranston? Or will Arkin steal the spotlight?
2. "The Master" (Last week: Not ranked)
Another American film gathering buzz at festivals this fall, Paul Thomas Anderson's follow-up to "There Will Be Blood" looks sure to be an Oscar contender as well.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Will his bizarre, rambling RNC speech hurt or help his upcoming film "Trouble With the Curve" and his Oscar chances?
4. "The Hobbit" (Last week: Not ranked)
Now that there are three films, Peter Jackson and co. had to re-arrange the trio's titles. As of now, part 2 is "The Desolation of Smaug," and part 3 will be known as "There and Back Again." The latter will even be a summer release, set for July 18, 2014.
5. "Jack Ryan" (Last week: Not ranked)
The Tom Clancy hero is back on the big screen, and Paramount recently released pics of Chris Pine in the role. How do you think he'll fare compared to Harrison Ford, Alec Baldwin and Ben Affleck? Ryan is like the American James Bond.
6. Academy Awards (Last week: No. 3)
The Oscars are making even more alterations to categories, attempting to better the much-maligned original song section by maintaing a quota of I've nominees. Will Florence and the Machine's "Snow White" tune be present? Or any of the "Hunger Games" songs?
7. "Iron Man 3" (Last week: Not ranked)
If Guy Pearce's role is really just a "cameo," does that mean he'll return for a fourth installment? At the very least, Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) will have his hands full taking care of The Mandarin (Ben Kingsley).
8. "Robocop" (Last week: Not ranked)
Michael Keaton is stepping in for Hugh Laurie in the upcoming sci-fi remake, joining Joel Kinnaman, Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson and more.
9. "To the Wonder" (Last week: Not ranked)
Where did Rachel Weisz, Barry Pepper, Martin Sheen and Amanda Peet go? Only fussy auteur Terrence Malick knows why they were cut from his upcoming film, which stars Ben Affleck and Rachel McAdams, and is predictably dividing critics.
10. "The Possession" (Last week: Not ranked)
The horror film scared up a surprising $21.3 million in its opening weekend, and continues to lead the box office. The only thing scarier is having to go back to school.
Watch the previous installment of Movie Power Rankings here.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below. Or tweet your thoughts with the hashtag #moviepowerrankings and tell us who you want to see in next week's edition.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- 'The Lone Ranger' Trailer: The Rise of an American Legend 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal