Michelle Pfeiffer on 'People Like Us' and why she's excited for Anne Hathaway's Catwoman
The three-time Oscar nominee explains what she looks for in new roles
For 20 years Michelle Pfeiffer was a constant presence on the big screen. She was nominated for three Oscars (for "Dangerous Liaisons," "The Fabulous Baker Boys" and "Love Field") and starred in big hits including "Batman Returns," "What Lies Beneath" and "Dangerous Minds."
And then, after 2002's "White Oleander," Pfeiffer stepped back from stardom to focus on her family. She lent her voice to an animated "Sinbad" movie, starred in a romantic comedy with Paul Rudd that went direct-to-video ("I Could Never Be Your Woman") and didn't return to theaters until 2007's "Hairspray" and "Stardust." She hasn't dramatically ramped up her output since then, but her recent string of supporting roles in "New Year's Eve," "Dark Shadows" and now "People Like Us" suggests Pfeiffer may finally be ready for a full-fledged and long overdue comeback.
During her promotional tour for "People Like Us" -- in which she co-stars as Chris Pine's recently widowed mother -- I asked Pfeiffer what she looks for in film roles these days and whether or not the dearth of character-driven dramas like "People Like Us" impacts her choices.
And I couldn't resist bringing up Catwoman. The world will soon see how Anne Hathaway's performance in "The Dark Knight Rises" compares to Pfeiffer's iconic take on the role, and it turns out Pfeiffer is just as excited to see the movie as everyone else.
"People Like Us" opens June 29
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
11 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]