Michael Keaton joins 'Robocop' cast as OmniCorp CEO
'Other Guys' thesp takes on villain role previously turned down by Hugh Laurie
Michael Keaton is the new Dan O'Herlihy.
The "Batman" thesp has signed on to star as OmniCorp CEO Raymond Sellars in MGM/Columbia's upcoming "RoboCop" remake helmed by Jose Padilha ("Elite Squad: The Enemy Within") and starring Joel Kinnaman ("The Killing") in the title role. "House" star Hugh Laurie and Clive Owen had both previously been rumored for the part of the company's leader, who greenlights the program that leads to the creation of the eponymous cyborg.
The CEO character was played by the late O'Herlihy in Paul Verhoeven's 1987 original, though given that he was known only as "The Old Man" in that version and that he played a rather limited role in the storyline, I'm guessing the character has been expanded significantly for the update.
'Killing' star Joel Kinnaman explains what drew him to 'RoboCop'
How will his Robocop be different from Peter Weller's version?
The original film starred Peter Weller as Alex Murphy, a police officer who is resurrected as a powerful cyborg after being brutally murdered by gangsters in a dystopic near-future Detroit.
Also set to star in the remake (which is technically being billed as a "re-imagining") are Gary Oldman as the scientist who creates the cyborg and Samuel L. Jackson as a media titan who plays a key role in the RoboCop program. The film is slated to begin shooting next month.
Keaton has kept a fairly low profile over the last several years, with his last feature credit being a supporting role in the 2010 comedy "The Other Guys" starring Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg.
Do you think Keaton is a good choice for the CEO role, or would you have preferred Hugh Laurie or Clive Owen instead? Sound off in the comments.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H