Michael Fassbender to star in and co-produce 'Assassin's Creed' movie
'Prometheus' and 'X-Men' star signs on for video game adaptation at an early stage
Could Michael Fassbender star in the first great movie based on a video game?
The "X-Men: First Class" and "Prometheus" star who recently made the award season rounds with sex addiction drama "Shame" has signed on to co-produce and play the lead role in "Assassin's Creed" for Ubisoft Motion Pictures.
The gaming franchise focuses on the descendant of a long line of ace assassins, who is kidnapped by the Knights Templar and accesses memories of the past to prevent the end of the world.
Although there is no director, writer or studio currently attached -- and it's not even clear how closely the film's plot will follow the games -- Fassbender's involvement should speed up the process and provide a reason for fans to be optimistic about how the project is shaping up.
"Michael Fassbender was our first choice," Ubisoft Motion Pictures CEO Jean-Julien Baronnet told Variety, who broke the story. "Michael is an extremely smart, talented, versatile and committed actor."
Fassbender's upcoming roles include reuniting with "Shame" director Steve McQueen for period piece "Twelve Years a Slave," "Prometheus" director Ridley Scott for drug trafficking drama "The Counselor," and the sequel to "X-Men: First Class."
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
18 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6: Kurt Sutter to Launch 'Talking Dead'-Style Companion Piece? The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama