Matt Damon joins George Clooney and Bill Murray in 'Monuments Men'
Daniel Craig also on board for the Clooney-directed WWII drama
George Clooney has recruited long-time pal Matt Damon for his next directorial effort.
The "Bourne" star is in talks to join the cast of "Monuments Men," a WWII drama based on Robert M. Edsel's book of the same name that was adapted by Clooney as a starring and directing vehicle, according to Deadline. The plot centers on the efforts of a group of Allied art historians and museum personnel who are tasked with salvaging works of art and other items of cultural importance from the Nazis in Europe during the latter days of WWII.
Damon, who previously starred with Clooney in the "Ocean's" trilogy as well as the Iraq War drama "Syriana," is just the latest big name to board the project, which already boasts the likes of Daniel Craig, Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett, Jean Dujardin ("The Artist") and John Goodman.
"Monuments Men" is scheduled to begin shooting in Europe this January.
Damon will next be seen in "Promised Land," the upcoming Gus Van Sant drama that was co-written by Damon and co-star John Krasinski. That film is slated for an Oscar-qualifying run beginning December 28, before moving into wider release after the first of the year.
Does "Monuments Men" sound like your cup of tea? Let us know in the comments.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title