Matt Damon joins George Clooney and Bill Murray in 'Monuments Men'
Daniel Craig also on board for the Clooney-directed WWII drama
George Clooney has recruited long-time pal Matt Damon for his next directorial effort.
The "Bourne" star is in talks to join the cast of "Monuments Men," a WWII drama based on Robert M. Edsel's book of the same name that was adapted by Clooney as a starring and directing vehicle, according to Deadline. The plot centers on the efforts of a group of Allied art historians and museum personnel who are tasked with salvaging works of art and other items of cultural importance from the Nazis in Europe during the latter days of WWII.
Damon, who previously starred with Clooney in the "Ocean's" trilogy as well as the Iraq War drama "Syriana," is just the latest big name to board the project, which already boasts the likes of Daniel Craig, Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett, Jean Dujardin ("The Artist") and John Goodman.
"Monuments Men" is scheduled to begin shooting in Europe this January.
Damon will next be seen in "Promised Land," the upcoming Gus Van Sant drama that was co-written by Damon and co-star John Krasinski. That film is slated for an Oscar-qualifying run beginning December 28, before moving into wider release after the first of the year.
Does "Monuments Men" sound like your cup of tea? Let us know in the comments.
News From Our Partners
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival