Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Rufus Sewell and Dominic Cooper talk 'Abraham Lincoln'
Director Timur Bekmambetov finds balance between horror and comedy
"Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" is in theaters now, and some audiences are still scratching their heads about what to expect from the genre mash-up. Co-stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Rufus Sewell and Dominic Cooper recently sat down with HitFix to discuss some of the film's quirks.
Benjamin Walker plays the 16th president, who makes historical decisions by day and decapitates Confederate vampires by night. It's a far-out premise that lends itself to a number of interpretations.
Winstead adds, "I think Timur has an extremely unique style. I think his version of the vampire is very grotesque" but "beautiful" at the same time, lending the film a serious undertone while allowing it to indulge in all sorts of outlandish set-pieces. They also discuss where the film fits in to the larger legacy of monster movies.
Cooper ("Captain America") plays Henry, a man who has lost his wit to vampires and wants to help Lincoln in his quest to exterminate bloodsuckers. He says his character is "a lost soul and very sad," whom he compares to "an old-fashioned junkie." The conflict comes into play when he has to decide whether his actions are for the benefit of mankind or just for plain ol' revenge.
"Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" is now open.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
11 days ago
30 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season