Mark Wahlberg says he turned down 'Star Trek' role
J.J. Abrams asked the 'Transformers 4' star to play Captain Kirk's dad
Despite starring in films like "Planet of the Apes" and the upcoming "Transformers 4," sci-fi apparently just isn't Mark Wahlberg's bag, even when it comes to J.J. Abrams and "Star Trek."
During an interview with Total Film about "Broken City" (which opens in the U.K. on Friday), the actor revealed that he turned down a role in Abrams' 2009 "Star Trek" reboot.
"I remember him asking me to play Captain Kirk's father in 'Star Trek' and I tried to read the script and I didn't understand the words, the dialogue or anything," he admitted. "I said, 'I couldn't do this. I think you're really talented, but I couldn't do it.' Then I saw the movie and I was like 'Holy sh*t, he did a great job.' I probably wouldn't pass up an opportunity to work with J.J. again. So, if he wanted me to do something that I couldn't fully understand, I'd probably give it a shot."
Wahlberg also expresses an interest in seeing what Abrams will do with the "Star Wars" universe, although he admits to only having seen the first one when he was a kid. He explains that he grew up less with sci-fi and more with movie tough guys like Steve McQueen and James Cagney.
The role of Kirk's dad ultimately went to Chris Hemsworth ("The Avengers").
After "Broken City," Wahlberg will next be seen in Mchael Bay's "Pain & Gain," and will also star in "Transformers 4" for the director. "Ted 2" is also in his future.
"Star Trek Into Darkness" opens May 17.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy