Mark Wahlberg says he turned down 'Star Trek' role
J.J. Abrams asked the 'Transformers 4' star to play Captain Kirk's dad
Despite starring in films like "Planet of the Apes" and the upcoming "Transformers 4," sci-fi apparently just isn't Mark Wahlberg's bag, even when it comes to J.J. Abrams and "Star Trek."
During an interview with Total Film about "Broken City" (which opens in the U.K. on Friday), the actor revealed that he turned down a role in Abrams' 2009 "Star Trek" reboot.
"I remember him asking me to play Captain Kirk's father in 'Star Trek' and I tried to read the script and I didn't understand the words, the dialogue or anything," he admitted. "I said, 'I couldn't do this. I think you're really talented, but I couldn't do it.' Then I saw the movie and I was like 'Holy sh*t, he did a great job.' I probably wouldn't pass up an opportunity to work with J.J. again. So, if he wanted me to do something that I couldn't fully understand, I'd probably give it a shot."
Wahlberg also expresses an interest in seeing what Abrams will do with the "Star Wars" universe, although he admits to only having seen the first one when he was a kid. He explains that he grew up less with sci-fi and more with movie tough guys like Steve McQueen and James Cagney.
The role of Kirk's dad ultimately went to Chris Hemsworth ("The Avengers").
After "Broken City," Wahlberg will next be seen in Mchael Bay's "Pain & Gain," and will also star in "Transformers 4" for the director. "Ted 2" is also in his future.
"Star Trek Into Darkness" opens May 17.
News From Our Partners
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival