Marilyn Manson is up to his old tricks in the new video for 'Slo-Mo-Tion': Watch
The aging shock-rocker is still trying to scare us, but his tactics are frighteningly dated
- Critic's Rating D
- Readers' Rating B
The video for Marilyn Manson's "Slo-Mo-Tion" opens with the following warning: "This video may contain offensive imagery." Which feels more like a limp assertion of Manson's waning credentials as a legitimately transgressive pop-cultural force than a true attempt at protecting our nation's children, if you ask me.
The forty-something shock-rocker is up to the same old shtick he's been peddling for two decades now in the brand-new clip - the second from his most recent album "Born Villain" - in which his stabs at edginess include such beaten-to-death motifs as creepy headgear, beautiful topless women, twisted displays of androgyny, firearm worship and, yes, that ever-present middle finger.
Look, you've gotta hand it to the guy - he still churns out a new disc every couple of years when most of his contemporaries have since faded into near-obscurity. The problem is, his shallow bag of tricks was emptied long ago, and he's been recycling the same basic material - albeit a far less effective version of it - ever since he first garnered attention with his full-length debut, 1994's "Portrait of an American Family."
And it's too bad, because for a time at least - specifically with 1998's glossy glam-rock opus "Mechanical Animals" - Manson made a legitimate attempt at transforming his sound and image. Nevertheless, his growth as an artist seemed to stall out somewhere around the turn of the millenium, and ever since he's been trotting out increasingly-flimsy variations on his most successful album, 1996's "Antichrist Superstar." Which is fine, but it's certainly not going to win him any new fans.
My grade for the video: D. After watching it below, rate it for yourself at top left.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When