Madonna suits up to blast Boy Scouts' gay ban at 2013 GLAAD Awards: Watch
Material Girl was on hand to present Anderson Cooper with the Vito Russo Award
NEW YORK (AP) — Wearing a replica of one of the organization's uniforms, Madonna called on the Boy Scouts to lift its ban on gays while also calling for a "revolution" to prevent discrimination and abuse of the gay, lesbian, transgender and bisexual community.
Speaking Saturday night at the GLAAD Media Awards, Madonna started off in a mischievous mood. She joked that she wanted to become a part of the Boy Scouts herself, but was turned down, even though she had the qualifications.
"I can build a fire. I know how to pitch a tent," said Madonna, sporting a Boy Scouts troop leader hat and a blue shirt and shorts set that included replicas of Boy Scout badges.
"I can rescue kittens from trees. . Most importantly, I know how to scout for boys," she said, before adding, "I think they should change their stupid rules."
Madonna, Bruce Springsteen and Roger Waters ranks as 2012's top tours
Just how much did Madge rake in from the MDNA tour?
Later, she got serious as she talked about the conflicts in the world and of the bullying of young gay, lesbian and transgender people.
"When I think about young kids in America who are being bullied and tortured, who are taking their own lives because they feel alone and judged, outcast and misunderstood, I want to sit down and cry a river of tears," Madonna said.
Noting that she has teenagers herself, she said, "It's an atrocity to me, I don't accept it."
Later she said, "I don't know about you, but I can't take this (expletive) anymore. That is why I want to start a revolution. It's 2013 people. We live in America, land of the free and home of the brave? That's a question, not a statement."
Madonna was on hand to give the Vito Russo Award to CNN anchor Anderson Cooper. She lauded Cooper for standing up for the rights of others.
Also honored by the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation was the NBC musical series "Smash," the documentary "How To Survive a Plague," and "The Amazing Race." Brett Ratner was also given the Ally Award — a turnaround from 2011, when the organization condemned the director for using an anti-gay slur, and he stepped down from a plan to direct the 2012 Academy Awards in the ensuing controversy.
Since then, Ratner has worked with the organization and made a public service announcement to promote equality.
Copyright (2013) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]