'Madea' mastermind Tyler Perry writing sci-fi movie
Multihyphenate says the 'Alien' series are among his favorite films
Best known for donning a dress in the never-ending "Madea" series, Tyler Perry has encountered science fiction only briefly in the past, co-starring in J.J. Abrams' 2009 "Star Trek." Now he wants to do sci-fi all by himself.
In an interview with Blackfilm.com, Perry's discussion of influences led to a small revelation. "I love Sci Fi, I love the 'Alien' franchise," he says. "I was very disappointed with 'Prometheus,' but I love that whole franchise. Those are my favorite movies. I’m actually working on a sci-fi movie right now."
There are no details about what kind of film it will be or if Perry will star in it (as Madea?), but at the rate he cranks out scripts, it should be on screen in only a year or two.
The writer-director-producer-actor seems bent on expanding his onscreen horizons.
His small role in "Star Trek" indicated his interest in the genre. And in his first big turn for another director, the just-released trailer for "Alex Cross" shows Perry playing the titular detective on the trail of a sicko serial killer ("Lost's" Matthew Fox). Rob Cohen ("The Fast and the Furious") directed the film.
However, it doesn't appear that Perry's down with Madea quite yet. He's back in the makeup for "Madea's Witness Protection," now in theaters.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast? 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Spoiler Special: Burning Questions Answered 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now!
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)
- Why Do I Own This?: A pint glass nicked from Forks, Washington, a.k.a. “Twilight, U.S.A.” Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling Nerd Curious: Why the essential collection Bradbury Stories explains how to live forever
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call