M.I.A. signs with Jay-Z's Roc Nation management company
Singer joins the fold with Rihanna, Santigold, The Ting Tings and Shakira
In a mighty meeting of the swagga, M.I.A. has signed to Jay-Z's management company Roc Nation.
The management company tweeted the news earlier, saying "The nation just keeps on growing..." with an Instagram pic of the sometimes controversial Sri Lankan-British performer. They'll manage M.I.A. (real name: Maya Arulpragasam), but Interscope Records will still distribute her albums.
M.I.A.'s fourth studio album, "Matangi," is in the works and will likely drop this fall.
Meanwhile, Hova is gearing up for a "Hard Knock Life," announcing that he'll be penning new songs for the upcoming "Annie" remake starring Willow Smith (another Roc Nation signee). He's also planning Made in America, an eclectic Philly festival with Pearl Jam, Passion Pit, Skrillex, Odd Future and others.
Jay-Z and M.I.A. have worked together before. The rapper's 2009 single with T.I., "Swagga Like Us," sampled her hit song "Paper Planes" (which itself was built around a Clash sample).
Jay-Z, T.I. and a very pregnant M.I.A. performed the song at the 2009 Grammys alongside Kanye West and Lil Wayne.
We should expect plenty more collaborations in the future.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18