M.I.A. confirms December drop for new album, slags off critics
Singer says the new set will sound like 'Paul Simon on acid'
M.I.A. isn't one to beat around the bush.
"No one in the industry collected blows in the last 3 years as much as me," the singer wrote during an impromptu Twitter Q&A earlier today. "This [new album] is a fuck you to them and a thank you to you.”
Speaking of that Q&A, the controversial entertainer unexpectedly took to the social network to invite questions from her 450,000-odd followers, with an initial tweet proclaiming: "if you want to know about LP = ask me questions and ill choose 10 to answer."
The 2012 MTV VMA nominee for Video of the Year was speaking, of course, about her upcoming fourth album "Matangi," which during the course of the online chat she revealed will hit stores in December along with her previously-announced autobiography, a documentary and an art exhibition. Also, it's going to sound like "paul simon on acid" (apparently).
As to the question of collaborations - one follower asked specifically about Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj - M.I.A. replied, "no collabs ! maybe its based on what they stand for. nobody can cross it, only that know can cross it." The subject of which producers might crop up, meanwhile, proved to be a sore one, with the recent Roc Nation signee stating she would be working only with those "that don't act like fame whore coloniser" (seemingly a jab at previous collaborator Diplo). Well, alright then.
The Q&A followed M.I.A.'s revelation of the new set's (partially obscured) tracklist on Twitter yesterday, which you can view below. Though her most recent single "Bad Girls" isn't listed, she confirmed it will indeed have a spot on the new album.
M.I.A.'s last LP, 2010's "Maya," debuted at #9 on the Billboard 200.
So, are you excited for M.I.A.'s new album? Turned off by her attention-getting antics? Sound off in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'