Listen: Kelly Clarkson's new song, 'Catch My Breath'
It's her life and she'll live it how she wants, thank you very much
- Critic's Rating B-
- Readers' Rating A
Kelly Clarkson has had it with your telling you how to live her life. On “Catch My Breath,” she declares she will forge her own path and you can’t keep her from wanting and doing it all.
[More after the jump...]
“Now that you know this is my life/I won’t be told what’s supposed to be right,” she vows. Clarkson, who is currently on tour in Europe, wrote the track with Jason Halbert and Eric Olson. On her website, she writes,
"This song represents who I've been, what I've felt, and where I'm headed as not only an artist but as a 30-year old that is now smart enough to know that it's time to stop, catch my breath, and be proud of not only what has been accomplished but of all the people that have helped me become the woman I am today." She also notes that it has been a decade since she won "American Idol." That doesn't seem possible, does it?
The pop rocker is fairly paint-by-numbers in that Clarkson’s been down this road before in terms of issuing a dictate that she has had enough and we can’t hold her back anymore. However, the stomp and clap production, combined with the whispery ethereal bridge (in which she thanks the person for setting her on her way), keep the tune interesting and it’s just anthemic enough to appeal to her following of young women who will be attracted to the message here.
“Catch My Breath” appears on Clarkson’s “Greatest Hits—Chapter 1,” which drops Nov. 5.
What do you think of “Catch My Breath?”
News From Our Partners
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013