Bruno Mars returns with 'Locked Out Of Heaven': Listen
Can he take you to paradise with the new track?
- Critic's Rating B+
- Readers' Rating B-
Bruno Mars is one of the brightest names to emerge in the pop world over the last few years as an singer, writer and producer (as one-third of the Smeezingtons).
He returns today after nearly a year away with “Locked Out Of Heaven,” the first single from his sophomore set, “Unorthodox Jukebox,” out Dec. 11.
[More after the jump...]
The cascading, uptempo pop song feels in some ways like it was crafted like Frankenstein’s monster: Parts of his vocal are redolent of Gotye in “Someone I Used To Know,” then there’s the “Starships”-like electro-clash whizzes and, toward the end, a Skrillex-lite dub step drop.
But unlike Frankenstein, Mars is a skilled musical doctor. Take these various factions and throw in a Police/‘80s rock skipping beat plus a touch of The Romantics' "What I Like About You" and you’ve got a hit. It might be more along the lines of “The Lazy Song” than ubersmashes “Just The Way You Are” or “Grenade,” but it is a hit nonetheless.
What ties it all together is Mars’ singing and the catchy little background vocals that keep the song moving downstream at a rapid pace, despite the fact that he's heartbroken. Even clumsy lyrics like “your sex takes me to paradise” can’t diminish that joy that the beats and melody bring.
Forget the lyrics, just listen to the vocals and the rhythm and this one will be embedded in your mind in less than 24 hours.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013