Kanye West gives rare interview to declare Lil Wayne 'number one rapper'
Does the media have strong feelings about 'Givenchy Kanye?' Hot 97 got answers
"I'm happy for Sean," he told DJ Enuff on Angie Martinez' show. "But I feel like he should be on top 5. He's bodying records, like the way he started off that 'Mercy.'"
Still, he said, there are at least three rappers who are definitely worthy of topping the MTV tally, which will be further revealed this week. He
The-Dream and Malik Yusef confirm collabs with Kanye West on new album
'No Church In the Wild' singer releasing 'Fourplay' on May 7, is working with...
Not that he was expecting the top spot: In West's view, Lil Wayne is a "number one rapper."
"Yeah, I just think... him and [Jay-Z] and [Eminem] and certain people are just the greatest rappers of all time," he said. So why is he so far behind? Maybe it's because of his earlier work that makes hip-hop critics second-guess.
"I had, like, the pink polo and the backpack and I'm checkin' all the boxes of that Tribe Called Quest era and J. Dilla and all that, so they wanna champion it. They don't like Givenchy Kanye. They don't like Kanye in a kilt. They don't like Kanye in a relationship," he said of MTV and straw men.
More than anything, Yeezy wanted to remind the world that, while he may be in the second tier of a top 10, he gave MTV personality Sway "his first TV."
"I was living in Newark doing beats for Jay and Beans and all them and I was getting a new TV and I gave Sway his first TV," he said. "And really I didn’t wanna even call to talk about the No. 7 list, I just wanna tell everybody that I gave Sway his first TV. And he need to remember that."
West is reportedly working on new solo material, which should surprise no one.
News From Our Partners
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!