Justin Timberlake reveals details on his new documentary and album
Why is it called 'The 20/20 Experience?'
Like seemingly every musician breathing today, Justin Timberlake is making a documentary. And we’ve already seen some it.
It turns out that the video snippet he dropped Jan. 10 announcing that he was “ready” to make more music is a portion from the forthcoming documentary.
[More after the jump...]
“That little piece of footage is from a documentary that we sort of started working on throughout the making of the album, which started last June,” Timberlake told Ryan Seacrest Monday. “It’s more of a little excerpt from that,” adding that if people didn’t know about the documentary (which we didn’t), the concept may not have made much sense.
He tells Seacrest he did more than 20 songs in 20 days. The album’s title, “The 20/20 Experience,” came from a friend telling Timberlake, “This is music you can see.”
“For me, you write a lot of stuff and working with [Timbaland], we always have a great time doing it, when we work, we end up with almost twice as much stuff as will go on my record... you do end up with stuff that you scrap along the way.”
With first single “Suit & Tie,” Timberlake says when viewing the album as a whole, “when you look at all the music that’s on the album, and let me tell you this as well, some of what we touched on with the last album, some of the interludes and pieces that would connect a song to another song, we’ve really gone sort of deep on that part of the process. A lot of the songs are really two in one. So, for instance, as well, you don’t really think when you put a song like ‘Suit & Tie’ out, because it really is like two different things happening at the same time, I know there aren’t many R&B dance records on the radio. This seems fresh to Tim and I and obviously Jay [Z]. So we said let’s put it out.”
He added he’s still in the process of working out his Feb. 10 Grammy performance: “I’ll say, all over the world with the performances that I’m going to do, you’re going to hear some stuff that you haven’t heard.” As you also know, Timberlake, who performed at a Super Bowl party Feb. 2, will play a concert at the Palladium in Los Angeles after the Grammys.
"The 20/20 Experience" is out March 19.
News From Our Partners
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
Watch the Foo Fighters' hilarious speech now before it airs on HBOThursday, May 16, 2013
Phoenix is also on soundtrack for Sofia Coppola-directed filmThursday, May 16, 2013
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013