Johnny Depp's eyes haunt the first 'Lone Ranger' poster
Western update reunites star with 'Pirates of the Caribbean' filmmakers
Disney has released a teaser poster for "The Lone Ranger," but stars Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer are nowhere to be seen.
Although the film's already received an enormous amount of press (some of it bad, due to its inflated budget and the tragic death of a crewman), this will be much of the public's first look at the upcoming film until the initial trailer is released later this week.
"Ranger," based on the oft-filmed western series, reunites Depp with "Pirates of the Caribbean" director Verbinski, screenwriters Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio and producer Jerry Bruckheimer.
Check out the poster here:
Choosing to go with a just logo and a pair of eyes, the poster looks inspired by "The Dark Knight's" effective poster campaign, and also calls to mind the recent street art explosion -- especially the scrawled tagline "Never take off the mask (perhaps promoting "Occupy: Wild West"). Either way, it downplays the warpaint-covered visage of Depp -- for now. He can be seen as Tonto, along with Hammer as the Ranger, in these new images.
The film will be told from the point of view of Tonto (Depp), a Native American spirit warrior who transforms lawman John Reid (Hammer) into the masked vigilante known as The Lone Ranger, who works with Tonto in the ongoing crusade against greed and corruption in the Old West.
"Ranger" also stars Tom Wilkinson, William Fichtner, Barry Pepper, James Badge Dale, Ruth Wilson and Helena Gore.
Depp, Elliottt and Rossio are also serving as executive producers, along with Mike Stenson, Chad Oman, Eric Ellenbogen and Eric McLeod.
"The Lone Ranger" will be released July 3, 2013.
What do you think of the poster?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel