Johnny Depp returning for 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5' on July 10, 2015
Plus: News on '1952,' 'Maleficent,' 'The Muppets 2' and more
No rest for the weary in Hollywood after a long night of Golden Globes partying.
Walt Disney Studios has announced that a fifth "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie is set for release on July 10, 2015. Johnny Depp will return as Captain Jack Sparrow and Jeff Nathanson is working on the screenplay. The Jerry Bruckheimer production currently is without a director, but one would assume Rob Marshall, who helmed the critically panned "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," will not return.
The new "Pirates" movie is setting Disney up for a huge 2015. The studio has already revealed it plans to release the first of three new "Star Wars" films and "The Avengers 2" during that same summer.
Additionally, Disney made some other housekeeping moves regarding future releases. Brad Bird's "1952" starring George Clooney and featuring a script from Damon Lindelof (also producing) and Bird is now set for a Dec. 19, 2014 release. It will also mark Clooney's first 3D film and is Bird's first live-action follow up since "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol."
The already announced "The Muppets 2' (hopefully a temporary title) will be released on March 21, 2014. Director James Bobin will return and the new cast includes Ricky Gervais and "Modern Family's" Ty Burrell.
The release date for Angelina Jolie's "Maleficent" has been pushed back giving it a prime summer slot. The reimagining of the classic Sleeping Beauty tale was originally slated for March 14, 2014, but will now hit theaters on July 2, 2014 making it a prime contender for the July 4th weekend crown.
Lastly, Disney confirmed that Marvel Studios "Guardians of the Galaxy" and "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" will both be released in 3D.
News From Our Partners
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'