Jim Carrey exits 'Dumb and Dumber' sequel over frustration with studio
Star felt New Line and Warner Bros. lacked enthusiasm for the follow-up
Jim Carrey is excited to be "Dumb" again. Unfortunately, New Line and Warner Bros. aren't.
At least that's what's being reported over at ET Online, as Carrey has confirmed to the outlet that he's exited the planned "Dumb and Dumber" sequel over what he implies is a lack of enthusiasm on the part of the two studios.
"I would have thought 'Dumb and Dumber To' [the working title of the follow-up] was a no-brainer," he told them exclusively. "After all, it's implied in the title."
Unfortunately, Carrey's departure from the project (in which he was slated to reprise his role opposite original co-star Jeff Daniels, with the Farrellys also returning) means that what looked like a surefire box-office bullseye for the hit-starved actor is now off the table, at least for the time being.
Carrey's most recent big-screen effort was last year's family-oriented "Mr. Popper's Penguins," which suffered from dismal reviews but managed to make up its lackluster domestic gross in foreign markets, with a total worldwide take of $187 million. Next up for the actor is magician comedy "Burt Wonderstone" opposite Steve Carell, which is due for release next year.
Are you disappointed that the "Dumb and Dumber" sequel has stalled, or do you feel the project was ill-advised from the start? Sound off in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel