Jessica Chastain faces ghosts in new trailer for Guillermo del Toro's 'Mama'
Horror film marks the directorial debut of Andy Muschietti
Before his "Pacific Rim" opens in theaters, Guillermo del Toro wants to introduce you to the mother of all scary movies, "Mama."
Jessica Chastain (as a close-cropped brunette) stars in the new horror film directed by Andy Muschietti, who is making his feature debut.
After the brutal murder of their mother, two little girls mysteriously disappear into the woods. Years later, they are found and are taken in by their kindly aunt and uncle (Chastain and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) who try to re-adjust them to normal life after living as feral children for five years. However, something evil followed them home from the dark woods and begins haunting their new family unit. Could it be dear old mom?
Del Toro is "presenting" the film, which seems to fit in with his earlier films "Pan's Labyrinth," "The Devil's Backbone" and "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark."
Over the past 18 months or so, we've seen Chastain in "Tree of Life," "The Help," "The Debt," "Take Shelter" and "Lawless," but "Mama" appears to be her first foray into horror.
Megan Charpentier and Isabelle Nelisse play the two sisters and they look alternately scary and scared. While there are a few mysterious shots of a huge warehouse/archive straight out of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," the film's horror looks mostly confined to the two tykes in a suburban home, giving it a bit of a "Paranormal Activity" vibe (minus the overused found footage gimmick). All in all, it looks genuinely creepy.
"Mama" opens January 18.
What do you think of the trailer?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title