Jeremy Renner and 'Twilight' director may team for WikiLeaks film
'Avengers' star in talks to play Julian Assange
Hollywood studios have been scrambling to make a film based on the recent WikiLeaks scandal and its central figure Julian Assange.
Now, it looks like "The Avengers" star Jeremy Renner may be first in line to play the newsmaker, with "Twilight" vet Bill Condon a potential director.
WikiLeaks acted as an online news outlet that published private, secret, and classified media revealed by inside "leaks." Founder Assange was charged with sexual assault in Sweden in 2010, although he has maintained his innocence. He has recently sought asylum in Ecuador.
DreamWorks acquired two books about the scandal and TV scribe Josh Singer ("The West Wing," "Fringe") is busy writing the script, though no further deals have been made, reports Deadline.
Renner recently starred as Hawkeye in the massive Marvel superhero hit "The Avengers," and is about to have his leading man star power tested with "The Bourne Legacy," opening August 10.
Condon's "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2" opens in November.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures