James Cameron may shoot 'Avatar' sequels at 48 frames
Filmmaker hopes to begin production on the follow-ups late next year
James Cameron may be getting into the 48 frames per second game - but only if audiences spark to the format.
"If there is acceptance of 48, then that will pave the way for 'Avatar' (sequels) to take advantage of it," Cameron told reporters at Wednesday's New Zealand premiere of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," which was filmed at the higher frame rate by director Peter Jackson. "We charged out ahead on 3D with 'Avatar,' now Peter's doing it with 'The Hobbit.' It takes that kind of bold move to make change."
Cameron - a surprise guest at the big unveiling - is currently writing the scripts for the "Avatar" follow-ups in Jackson's native country, where he has bought an estimated 2,500 acres of farmland to double as Pandora for the new films.
Speaking of "Avatar," Cameron said he hopes to have the sequel scripts completed by February for a late 2013 production start.
"I want to get these scripts nailed down, I don't want to be writing the movie in post production," said the director, adding: "We kind of did that on the first picture, I ended up cutting out a lot of scenes and so on and I don't want to do that again."
All quotes courtesy of The West Australian (via The Film Stage).
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is being screened at 48 fps in only limited locations next month in order to gauge audience response. Reaction was mixed when the higher-frame-rate footage was first screened at CinemaCon back in April.
Will you be seeing "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" at 48 frames? Let us know in the comments.
News From Our Partners
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts