James Cameron may shoot 'Avatar' sequels at 48 frames
Filmmaker hopes to begin production on the follow-ups late next year
James Cameron may be getting into the 48 frames per second game - but only if audiences spark to the format.
"If there is acceptance of 48, then that will pave the way for 'Avatar' (sequels) to take advantage of it," Cameron told reporters at Wednesday's New Zealand premiere of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," which was filmed at the higher frame rate by director Peter Jackson. "We charged out ahead on 3D with 'Avatar,' now Peter's doing it with 'The Hobbit.' It takes that kind of bold move to make change."
Cameron - a surprise guest at the big unveiling - is currently writing the scripts for the "Avatar" follow-ups in Jackson's native country, where he has bought an estimated 2,500 acres of farmland to double as Pandora for the new films.
Speaking of "Avatar," Cameron said he hopes to have the sequel scripts completed by February for a late 2013 production start.
"I want to get these scripts nailed down, I don't want to be writing the movie in post production," said the director, adding: "We kind of did that on the first picture, I ended up cutting out a lot of scenes and so on and I don't want to do that again."
All quotes courtesy of The West Australian (via The Film Stage).
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is being screened at 48 fps in only limited locations next month in order to gauge audience response. Reaction was mixed when the higher-frame-rate footage was first screened at CinemaCon back in April.
Will you be seeing "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" at 48 frames? Let us know in the comments.
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"