J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek 2' shooting key scenes in IMAX
The Enterprise crew will be seen on the big screen in 3D
J.J. Abrams’ "Star Trek 2" is going IMAX.
The sequel to the 2009 reboot will be released on the big, big 3D screen, and Abrams revealed that several key scenes have been shot in the format.
"Star Trek" was also released in IMAX, as well as the Abrams-produced "Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol," but this will be Abrams first time directing scenes using IMAX equipment. It's going to be big.
"Lost" vet Damon Lindelof (who recently penned Ridley Scott's divisive "Prometheus") teamed with Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman ("Transformers") to write the screenplay.
Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Anton Yelchin, and Bruce Greenwood are all reprising their various roles from the first film. They are joined by new cast members Peter Weller and Alice Eve.
"We were so thrilled with the creative results of shooting IMAX for "Mission: Impossible" that we jumped at the chance to use the format for "Star Trek,'" said Abrams in a statement. "All expectations were exceeded -- the action and resolution is insane at this scale. We cannot wait for audiences to see the crew of the Enterprise in a way they never have before."
"J.J. and the filmmaking team behind the "Star Trek" franchise are once again working to give audiences one of the best film going experiences available today," added Paramount Pictures' Rob Moore. “Following the great success of the first film in the newly revived franchise, the sequel to "Star Trek" will no doubt be among the top choices for moviegoers next summer.”
“We are extremely proud to be continuing our successful partnership with Paramount Pictures, J.J., Bryan Burk, Bad Robot and the entire "Star Trek" team through this iconic franchise that has the perfect DNA for IMAX fans,” said IMAX chairman Greg Foster.
Abrams' first "Star Trek" grossed over $375 million worldwide in 2009.
"Star Trek 2" opens nationwide May 17, 2013.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll