J.J. Abrams confirms that 'Star Trek Into Darkness' will feature Klingons
Benedict Cumberbatch won't be the only villain
We still don't know exactly who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing in the upcoming sequel "Star Trek Into Darkness," but J.J. Abrams has revealed that, whether he's Khan or not, the actor won't be the film's only villain.
The director confirmed that the beloved Klingons will appear in the film to terrorize Capt. Kirk (Chris Pine) and the Enterprise crew.
"Their role in this is definitely that of adversary, and you'll see how that plays out," he told MTV.
The Klingons began as a purely villainous race in the original series, but grew into Federation allies during laters series such as "The Next Generation" and "Deep Space Nine," but Abrams isn't counting on new viewers to have absorbed all that previous lore. "You don't need to know any preexisting stories to enjoy this film," the director explained.
HitFix's Drew McWeeny reported more about the film's extensive use of Klingons when he visited the "Star Trek Into Darkness" press day late last year.
The menacing aliens almost made it into the 2009 original. "We had shot some stuff that had Klingons in [the first film], and we cut the scene," Abrams explained. "It's a deleted scene on the DVD. But they're back in this one."
Abrams previously teased the Klingons during last year's MTV Movie Awards.
"Star Trek Into Darkness" journeys into theaters May 17.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title