It's official: 'The Avengers' passes 'The Dark Knight' for no. 3 all-time
Is 'Titanic' about to sink from the no. 2 slot?
It was a nice run for Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight," but it's time to vacate the no. 3 slot on the all-time U.S. box office grosses chart. As expected, "The Avengers" surpassed "Dark Knight's" $533.3 million take by grossing another $5.6 million on Friday for $538.1 million to date.
Joss Whedon's remarkable take was achieved in only 28 days. Comparatively, the all-time champ "Avatar" hit that cume in 36 days. It's hard to believe that "The Avengers" can continue at a pace to overtake James Cameron's 3D game changer and its $749 million cume, but what about the no. 2 film?
"Titanic" held the top slot for 12 years, but was cast aside by "Avatar" just three years ago. Its $600 million take was once seen as insurmountable, but that was before Hollywood realized the magic of higher 3D ticket prices.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Where "The Avengers" winds up is finally becoming hard to peg. The Marvel Studios blockbuster is finally going to face increased competition for repeat business from "Snow White and the Huntsman" this weekend and "Prometheus" next Friday. Moreover, it's going to start to lose many of its 3D screens to the aforementioned "Prometheus" (as well as IMAX screens), "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted" (also opening on June 8) and studio stablemate "Brave" on June 22.
Can it weather the storm to earn $120 million or so? Considering the disastrous run Walt Disney Studios had to deal with before "The Avengers" became a sensation, don't be surprised if they keep it in theaters as long as possible to eke out the take. In any event, something to keep your eye on during the sweaty box office grosses in July and early August.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"