Is 'Hotel Transylvania' really going to beat 'Looper' and 'Pitch Perfect' at the box office?
Plus: Andy Samberg and Selena Gomez talk animation
It's another crowded weekend of new releases at the box office and Hollywood would breathe much easier if one or two actually strike a chord with audiences to help the industry out of a longer than usual losing streak.
Last week's success story was the surprise debut of David Ayer's "End of Watch," but it's not really great news when the no. 1 movie in the country opens to only $13.1 million. It's been a good week for distributor Open Road Films, however, as "Watch" has dominated the daily grosses pulling in $17.2 million through Wednesday. The competition is going to get a lot tougher beginning today.
Opening mega-wide, Sony Pictures Animation's "Hotel Transylvania" is expected to make between $27-30 million to win the weekend. The picture has received mixed notices so far, but has done a fair job of selling itself to parents looking for something original to take the kids to (and don't forget those higher 3-D prices as well).
[Check out an interview with "Hotel Transylvania's" Andy Samberg and Selena Gomez embedded at the top of this post.]
Another Sony Pictures release, Rian Johnson's "Looper," should take the second slot with anywhere from $22-24 million. Considering the film's strong reviews (85 on Metacritic and 92% on Rotten Tomatoes), including some raves from the LA Times and Wall Street Journal, "Looper" has a chance to over perform if word of mouth is strong with general audiences. Then again, if it can match it's pre-release polling estimate, however, financiers Endgame and Sony will be very satisfied come Monday morning.
[Read Drew McWeeny's rave review of "Looper."]
Universal Pictures is taking the unusual step of releasing "Pitch Perfect" in extended limited release. "Perfect" will debut in just 335 theaters which technically isn't nationwide. The studio hopes the female-skewing singing comedy will generate strong word of mouth before it expands wide on Oct. 5.
Arriving D.O.A. is 20th Century Fox's "Won't Back Down." The teachers vs. the teachers' union drama starring Viola Davis, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Rosie Perez has received mostly negative reviews (and a few stinging ones), but the bigger issue appears to be Fox's uninspired marketing campaign. Awareness and interest is so low most of Fox's competitors will be shocked if "Down" can pull in more than $5 million over the three-day.
"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" expands to 102 theaters after a fantastic debut in just New York and Los Angeles last weekend. Summit Entertainment is going slow and steady with the coming of age drama that might just play better with adults than teens.
No matter what the results this weekend, the industry as a whole is hoping the arrival of "Taken 2" can jumpstart moviegoing when it hits theaters a week from today. The sequel to the original Liam Neeson blockbuster is tracking at a staggering $50 million plus debut.
Look for box office updates all weekend on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My?
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- Is There Hope For Jaime & Brienne Shippers? PHOTOS: Inside Lucille Austero's New Apartment WATCH: Full-Length Trailers For 'The Millers,' 'Hostages' And 'Mom'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6 Adds 'The Shield's CCH Pounder As… David Boreanaz, Minka Kelly, Tom Felton and More Go 'Full Circle' for DirecTV Syfy's 'Helix': David Slade Directing 'Battlestar Galactica' Creator Ron Moore's New Series
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike