'Iron Man 3''s Robert Downey Jr. on 'Avengers' success & getting 'juice' from the fans
Also: Shane Black talks about making the threequel more 'Tony Stark-centric'
SAN DIEGO - Robert Downey Jr. is far from surprised that "The Avengers" now stands as the third-highest-grossing film of all time. After all, he expects that from every single one of his movies.
"Here's my problem," began the actor, answering my question about the film's massive success on the Comic-Con press line for "Iron Man 3" over the weekend. "Every time one of my movies comes out, I think it's going to be the #3 biggest movie of all time. And so it's really weird. It's like I cried wolf, and one actually showed up this time."
Despite this stunning lack of career doubt, Downey - who took a break from filming the threequel to attend the annual San Diego fest on Saturday - told us he still occasionally needs a recharge from the franchise's enormous fanbase to keep his energy up.
"I just like hanging out with the people," he said. "I feel like I'm at a filling station, getting all kinds of juice from the fans, and then I'm gonna go put that to use in the second half of the shoot."
This juice will likely help Downey tackle the stunt work that's required for the latter half of principal photography, much of which he insisted on performing himself.
Robert Downey Jr. shows 'Iron Man 3' footage during his Hall H victory lap
A rowdy panel turns out to be as much a celebration of success as hype for ne...
During the red carpet event we also managed to catch up with writer/director Shane Black - taking over from "Iron Man 1 and 2" helmer Jon Favreau on the threequel - who spoke to us about why he decided to put the focus back on Tony Stark in the third movie.
"The first movie was my favorite, because it was Tony Stark-centric," said Black, standing side-by-side with Marvel production prez Kevin Feige. "It was so mythic in its invocation of this guy who has this phoenix thing happen to him, that not to dwell on that kind of myth, and not to go back to the well and try to mine it for more, about what that journey would ultimately be. What is that transformation from man to machine and back again?"
For more from Downey and Black on the upcoming sequel - including Downey's thoughts on Tony Stark's "inner demons" - check out the interviews in their entirety above and below!
"Iron Man 3" is scheduled for release on May 3, 2013.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"