'Iron Man 3,' 'Star Trek Into Darkness' and 'World War Z' set for Super Bowl ad blitz
'Fast and Furious,' 'The Lone Ranger' and others also set for big game
The 49ers and the Ravens may be playing against each other at the upcoming Super Bowl in New Orleans, but they'll also be facing down superheroes, aliens, zombies, car thieves and more, as some of the major film studios have announced which upcoming releases will be highlighted during the game's pricey ad breaks.
Brad Pitt will face the flesh-eating undead in a brand new 30-second spot for Paramount Pictures' "World War Z" (to be released June 21) during the pre-game. The studio will also tease fans with a new 30-second spot for J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek Into Darkness" (May 17) sometime during the second quarter.
Meanwhile, Universal Pictures plans to unleash the first footage of Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson in a 30-second ad for "Fast & Furious 6" at some point during the game.
Disney will plug Sam Raimi's "Oz The Great and Powerful" (March 8), and offer a 90-second pre-game spot for the Johnny Depp western "The Lone Ranger" (July 3), plus a new 60-second spot featuring Robert Downey Jr.'s return as the Marvel hero "Iron Man 3" (May 3), Coming Soon reports.
Meanwhile, according to The Hollywood Reporter, 20th Century Fox and Sony will be sitting on the sidelines during the big game, despite the fact that the former has "The Wolverine" upcoming, while the latter is prepping Roland Emmerich's "White House Down" for a June release. Likewise, Warner Bros. also won't be shilling Baz Luhrmann's 3D "The Great Gatsby," even though it's hitting theaters in May.
Super Bowl XLVII airs Sunday, February 3 at 6:30 pm ET on CBS.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]