'Iron Man 3,' 'Star Trek Into Darkness' and 'World War Z' set for Super Bowl ad blitz
'Fast and Furious,' 'The Lone Ranger' and others also set for big game
The 49ers and the Ravens may be playing against each other at the upcoming Super Bowl in New Orleans, but they'll also be facing down superheroes, aliens, zombies, car thieves and more, as some of the major film studios have announced which upcoming releases will be highlighted during the game's pricey ad breaks.
Brad Pitt will face the flesh-eating undead in a brand new 30-second spot for Paramount Pictures' "World War Z" (to be released June 21) during the pre-game. The studio will also tease fans with a new 30-second spot for J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek Into Darkness" (May 17) sometime during the second quarter.
Meanwhile, Universal Pictures plans to unleash the first footage of Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson in a 30-second ad for "Fast & Furious 6" at some point during the game.
Disney will plug Sam Raimi's "Oz The Great and Powerful" (March 8), and offer a 90-second pre-game spot for the Johnny Depp western "The Lone Ranger" (July 3), plus a new 60-second spot featuring Robert Downey Jr.'s return as the Marvel hero "Iron Man 3" (May 3), Coming Soon reports.
Meanwhile, according to The Hollywood Reporter, 20th Century Fox and Sony will be sitting on the sidelines during the big game, despite the fact that the former has "The Wolverine" upcoming, while the latter is prepping Roland Emmerich's "White House Down" for a June release. Likewise, Warner Bros. also won't be shilling Baz Luhrmann's 3D "The Great Gatsby," even though it's hitting theaters in May.
Super Bowl XLVII airs Sunday, February 3 at 6:30 pm ET on CBS.
News From Our Partners
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)