'Iron Man 3' casts top Chinese actor as Marvel ramps up for more shooting
Wang Xuequi also features in two brand-new images from the film
Already several months into production, Marvel has just announced the addition of a new cast member to "Iron Man 3."
Chinese actor Wang Xuequi ("Yellow Earth," "The Big Parade") has joined the superhero follow-up as a supporting character named Dr. Wu, according to Deadline. Though Xuequi's involvement has been rumored for awhile now, word was that he would be playing Chen Lu, also known as the supervillain Radioactive Man (a role that Hong Kong singer/actor Andy Lau was previously reported to have backed out of). However, Wu appears to be a different character altogether.
Marvel will begin a weeklong shoot in mainland China on Monday. The studio is co-producing the film with Chinese company DMG Entertainment, which will distribute the film in the country.
To confirm Xuequi's involvement, the studios have also jointly released two new images of the actor from the film, which you can check out below. Seeing as no footage has yet been shot in the Communist nation, it appears Xuequi was previously involved in the Stateside leg of the film's production, which wrapped early last month.
Xuequi joins returning stars Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle and Jon Favreau as well as newcomers Ben Kingsley, Guy Pearce, James Badge Dale, Ashley Hamilton and Rebecca Hall in the threequel, which is being directed by Shane Black ("Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"). It's set for release on May 3.
Anyone out there have theories on Dr. Wu's plot function in the film? Sound off below.
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama