'Iron Man 3' casts top Chinese actor as Marvel ramps up for more shooting
Wang Xuequi also features in two brand-new images from the film
Already several months into production, Marvel has just announced the addition of a new cast member to "Iron Man 3."
Chinese actor Wang Xuequi ("Yellow Earth," "The Big Parade") has joined the superhero follow-up as a supporting character named Dr. Wu, according to Deadline. Though Xuequi's involvement has been rumored for awhile now, word was that he would be playing Chen Lu, also known as the supervillain Radioactive Man (a role that Hong Kong singer/actor Andy Lau was previously reported to have backed out of). However, Wu appears to be a different character altogether.
Marvel will begin a weeklong shoot in mainland China on Monday. The studio is co-producing the film with Chinese company DMG Entertainment, which will distribute the film in the country.
To confirm Xuequi's involvement, the studios have also jointly released two new images of the actor from the film, which you can check out below. Seeing as no footage has yet been shot in the Communist nation, it appears Xuequi was previously involved in the Stateside leg of the film's production, which wrapped early last month.
Xuequi joins returning stars Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle and Jon Favreau as well as newcomers Ben Kingsley, Guy Pearce, James Badge Dale, Ashley Hamilton and Rebecca Hall in the threequel, which is being directed by Shane Black ("Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"). It's set for release on May 3.
Anyone out there have theories on Dr. Wu's plot function in the film? Sound off below.
News From Our Partners
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness