Ian McKellen talks 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' return: 'What a gas!'
Also: What does the actor think of Fassbender's take on Magneto?
Just call him Ian McKellen, franchise-hopper.
Only two weeks out from the release of Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" (in which McKellen returns as Gandalf the wizard), word has come down that the seasoned actor and his "X-Men" cast-mate Patrick Stewart will reprise the roles of Magneto and Professor X, respectively, in Bryan's Singer's time-traveling "First Class" follow-up "Days of Future Past." (Note: Reports also have Hugh Jackman in talks to play Wolverine.)
So how does McKellen feel about coming on board for another round? As evidenced by a recent interview with the Huffington Post, "excited" seems an appropriate description.
"What a gas!" exclaimed McKellen when asked about returning to the series. "I mean, Patrick Stewart and I have been have just been playing 'Waiting for Godot' throughout England and in the West End of London. So, we've stayed in touch. We can't believe it [laughs]. I thought these were [Michael] Fassbender and [James] McAvoy's parts, but -- no, no -- we're back. We'll give them a run for their money. I mean, I haven't read the script, so I don't know how much we've got to do. But, to be back in that world, and for Bryan to be doing it -- with all the success he's had in the meantime -- it's wonderful. Wonderful."
So does that mean we'll see an on-set rivalry heating up between the seasoned thesps and their younger on-screen doppelgangers?
"No, no," said McKellen to the idea that he somehow feels competitive with Fassbender, who plays a younger version of the "X-Men" baddie. "I thought he was better than me. But, we weren't quite playing the same character because he was so much younger than me. ...I was just the lucky guy who got to play him first."
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" is slated for release on July 18, 2014.
Are you excited to see McKellen back as Magneto in "Days of Future Past"? Which actor do you prefer in the role? Let us know in the comments.
News From Our Partners
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One