'Hunger Games' scribe to write alternate 'Mummy' script for Universal
Draft will be separate from Jon Spaihts' take on the reboot
While there may only be one mummy in Universal's upcoming "The Mummy" reboot, the studio has ordered two different scripts.
Earlier, "Prometheus" scribe Jon Spaihts was hired to write the script for the film, but now it's being reported that the studio is also hiring "Hunger Games" screenwriter Billy Ray to pen an alternate screenplay. Both are said to take place in modern times, but it's unclear if they both feature the same characters and general plot line, or if they're unrelated original ideas.
While the two scripts may end up being combined, the studio likely ordered up the competing drafts in order to ensure that they'll have something to shoot this summer so the film will be ready for release Summer 2014, according to Vulture.
"Transformers" and "Star Trek" vets Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman are producing the reboot, while "Underworld" architect Len Wiseman is attached to direct.
Universal's three most recent "Mummy" films, which starred Brendan Fraser, earned a combined $1.4 billion worldwide. The studio's first foray into the myhtos was 1932's legendary "The Mummy," staring Boris Karloff.
Meanwhile, Kurtzman and Orci are also set to produce a new take on Dracula's nemesis Van Helsing at the Universal, with Tom Cruise attached to play the title role.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama