Historical series 'The White Queen' to reign on Starz
Max Irons and Janet McTeer star in Philippa Gregory adaptation
STARZ is turning back the clock to 15th century England for its next original series, "The White Queen."
Based on Philippa Gregory’s bestselling book series entitled “The Cousins War,” the new 10-episode series will take place during the War of the Roses, and explores some of the women at the heart of the bloody, 30-year struggle for the royal throne which started in 1455.
"Red Riding Hood's" Max Irons plays Edward IV, who is crowned King of England -- with the help of Lord Warwick (James Frain, returning to the era of "The Tudors") -- but soon secretly marries Elizabeth Woodville (newcomer Rebecca Ferguson), endangering his reign.
"Queen" will also star Oscar nominee Janet McTeer ("Albert Nobbs") as Woodville's mother (a self-proclaimed sorceress). Amanda Hale will play the power-hungry mother of Henry Tudorand. Newcomer Faye Marsay will play Warwick's young daughter, who later marries future-king Richard III.
Colin Callender ("Magic City") will executive produce.
“Phillipa Gregory’s novels have become runaway best sellers with passionate fans the world over, making this a project ripe for reimagining,” said Starz' Carmi Zlotnik. “The period of England’s Wars of the Roses makes for a sensational historical backdrop as a time fraught with violence, mystery and intrigue. We are excited to be working with an incredibly talented team, both in front and behind the camera, that is taking on such an ambitious project and bringing this riveting story to life.”
The project reunites Calendar and Starz CEO Chris Albrecht who worked at HBO together.
Albrecht added “Carmi and I have worked with Colin for many years, and we are excited to have such a world-class movie and television visionary lending his talents to our STARZ series.”
"The White Queen" will premiere on STARZ sometime in 2013.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
5 days ago
8 days ago
|Discuss Scripted Dramas on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)