'Hatfields & McCoys' makes ratings history for History
Kevin Costner mini sets an ad-supported cable viewing record
Kevin Costner might want to consider a permanent move to the small screen. His star turn in History channel's "Hatfields & McCoys" premiered last night to record numbers for ad-supported cable: 13.9 million total viewers.
That's bigger than any non-sports telecast in ad-supported cable history, according to History. In demos, "Hatfields" drew 5.8 million viewers 25-54 and 4.8 million viewers 18-49.
It's even more impressive for handily trouncing all broadcast network competition (Monday night's most watched show was NBC's "America's Got Talent" with 10 million viewers).
There's precendent for Western success on basic cable. AMC's "Broken Trail" scored 9.8 million viewers in 2006 and TNT's "Crossfire Trail" had 12.5 million viewers in 2001. While "Hatfields" surpassed those successes, it did trail the 17.2 million viewers for Disney Channel's "High School Musical 2" in 2007. Since Disney is not ad-supported, History can still claim the record.
History's extensive promotional campaign and a smart Memorial Day holiday tie-in surely gave a boost to "Hatfields," which also stars Bill Paxton, Powers Boothe and Mare Winningham.
"Hatfields & McCoys" continues tonight and concludes tomorrow night 9 p.m. ET on History.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking