'Harry Potter' director David Yates signs on for 'Tarzan'
Tom Hardy and Henry Cavill reportedly being eyed for the role
After making four consecutive "Harry Potter" movies, director David Yates is ready to embrace his primal side for his next project.
The director has signed on for Warner Bros.' long-planned new take on Edgar Rice Burrough's timeless "Tarzan" tale.
Yates has apparently met with "Man of Steel's" Henry Cavill, Charlie Hunnam ("Sons of Anarchy") and "True Blood's" Alexander Skarsgard to discuss the part, according to Vulture. The studio is also considering Tom Hardy ("Dark Knight Rises"). Of course, someone else entirely different could end up wearing the loincloth and swinging from the trees in the film.
Producer Jerry Weintraub has been trying to make "Tarzan" at Warners for years, with director Craig Brewer ("Footloose," "Hustle & Flow") once a candidate to direct. Yates, with his relationship with WB and his experience with fantasy and effects, seems to be a more logical choice.
Recently Yates exited "Your Voice in My Head," which would have reunited him with "Harry Potter" co-star Emma Watson.
Disney's 2011 box office bomb "John Carter" was also based on the writings of Burrough, however "Tarzan" has had a much more successful track record on the big screen, ranging from the dozen or so films starring Johnny Weissmuller in the '30s and '40s, to Disney's 1999 animated hit.
Who would you like to see as Tarzan?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast? 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Spoiler Special: Burning Questions Answered 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now!
- Why Do I Own This?: A pint glass nicked from Forks, Washington, a.k.a. “Twilight, U.S.A.” Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling Nerd Curious: Why the essential collection Bradbury Stories explains how to live forever
- One Direction Thank Their Fans for 2013 Billboard Music Award Wins Drake + Jay-Z Working on New Music [Pic] Taylor Swift Gets Grossed Out When Selena Gomez + Justin Bieber Kiss Backstage at 2013 Billboard Awards [Pics]
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call