Grammy Awards 2013: No ifs, ands or butts, according to dress code
Would Pink's 2010 performance pass muster this year?
We’ve really come a long way since Cole Porter wrote “a glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking” for “Anything Goes.”
Now we live in a world where CBS has to send out an official memo to any talent —presenters and performers— appearing on air during the 55th Annual Grammy Awards telecast on Feb. 10.
[More after the jump...]
The memo leaked yesterday and is a reminder to all involved that CBS Program Practices ask that:
“...buttocks and female breasts are adequately covered. Thong type costumes are problematic. Please avoid exposing bare fleshy under curves of the buttocks and buttock crack. Bare sides or under curvature of the breasts is also problematic. Please avoid sheer see-through clothing that could possibly expose female breast nipples. Please be sure the genital region is adequately covered so that there is no visible “puffy” bare skin exposure.”
Regarding the last part, are they talking butt cheeks or even something more explicit (since they already referenced butt cheeks with the ever so delicate ”bare fleshy undercurves of the buttocks"), like certain lady parts that underwear-adverse starlets keep “accidentally” flashing?
Regardless, the memo is making the rounds today. What we don’t know is if this is an advisory that gets circulated every year and just happened to leak this year or if the recent rage of side boobs on the red carpet at awards shows prompted the missive. (We've asked a Grammy spokesperson and are waiting to hear back).
I’m of two minds: to be sure, CBS wants to avoid any fines for indecency caused by, in this case, intentional wardrobe malfunctions, and that’s fine. But this is the music industry. A shirt with a collar passes for formal wear. For artists who pride themselves on showing as much skin as possible, asking them to cover up is tantamount to asking them to wear a nun’s habit.
Part of the fun of watching any awards show is seeing what everyone is wearing and if they wear something wildly inappropriate. Heck, it’s what we all live for. When an artist is giving a performance during “the biggest night in music,” what if their interpretation of their song includes wearing something that might show a little more skin than CBS would like? Would Pink’s amazing acrobatic performance of “Glitter in the Air” at the 2010 Grammys where she ultimately stripped down to a flesh-colored leotard with white ribbons over her R-Rated bits now be banned?
On the other hand, when you think about it, is it really that unreasonable to ask stars to leave the Daisy Dukes at home and to bring the underwear? Dress fashion forward but also with some modicum of taste? In some ways, it is absolutely ridiculous that an official memo has to go out telling artists not a plan a nip slip on Sunday night.
The one artist we don’t need to worry about is Justin Timberlake, since he’ll undoubtedly come dressed in a “Suit & Tie.”
What do you think? Would Pink’s lauded 2010 performance violate the memo?
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013
'They Don't Know' featured on next album, 'X'Wednesday, May 15, 2013
'X Factor' judge's material doesn't always match her strong pipesTuesday, May 14, 2013