Golden Globes victor Anne Hathaway boards 'Taming of the Shrew' adaptation
'Les Mis' thesp signs on for updated film version of the Shakespeare comedy
Not only does she share a name with William Shakespeare's wife, Anne Hathaway has now been successfully courted for a big screen version of one of the literary giant's most famous comedies.
The "Les Miserables" thesp, who took home the Best Supporting Actress trophy at last night's Golden Globe Awards (full winners list), has signed on to a new film adaptation of William Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew," according to The Wrap.
Though Hathaway's role isn't specified, it's assumed she'll play the lead role (or the equivalent thereof) of Katherina, the "shrew" of the title. In the play Katherina is pursued by Petrucio, a Verona gentleman who is lured by the woman's hefty dowry. This updated version will move the action to mid-20th century Italy (and presumably rectify some of the original play's more misogynistic elements). Abi Morgan, the acclaimed scribe behind such recent prestige fare including "Shame" and "The Iron Lady," is on board to adapt.
In addition to her Globes win last night, Hathaway is up for Best Supporting Actress at next month's Academy Awards.
"The Taming of the Shrew" has been adapted for the big-screen several times, most famously in the form of a big-budget 1967 version starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. The hit 1999 film "10 Things I Hate About You" starring Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger was also loosely inspired by the play.
Are you a fan of Hathaway's? Looking forward to seeing what she'll do with the role? Sound off in the comments.
News From Our Partners
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)