George Lucas clarifies his role on the new 'Star Wars': 'I don’t really have much to do'
Creator was previously named as a 'creative consultant' on 'Episode VII'
When it comes to the next chapter in the "Star Wars" saga, it appears George Lucas won't be playing a hands-on role.
“Basically I’m not — I don’t really have much to do,” said the filmmaker in a recent interview with Access Hollywood, who caught up with him at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' 4th annual Governors Awards on Sunday.
Lucas was named as a "creative consultant" on "Episode VII" back in October, when the new installment was announced in a release touting Disney's purchase of LucasFilm for a cool $4 billion.
So what exactly does the "creative consultant" designation entail, then?
“[If the filmmakers ask],‘Who’s this guy?’ I can tell them,” said Lucas. “I mean, they have a hundred encyclopedias and things, but I actually know a lot. I can say, ‘This is this and this is that.’”
Also present at the AMPAS event was Lucas' "Indiana Jones" partner-in-crime Steven Spielberg, prompting Access to ask Lucas whether the "Lincoln" director himself would ever consider taking a stab at the "Star Wars" franchise.
“I’m pretty sure he’d never want to do that!” said Lucas. “I don’t think he’d want to.”
So who will end up with the coveted gig? While no name has been officially announced, the "Star Wars" rumor-mill has certainly been buzzing, with helmers including Colin Trevorrow ("Safety Not Guaranteed"), Matthew Vaughn ("X-Men: First Class"), Brad Bird ("Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol") and Jon Favreau ("Iron Man") named as potential contenders (though some, including Bird, have already pooh-poohed the talk surrounding their possible involvement).
"Star Wars: Episode VII" is slated for release sometime in 2015.
News From Our Partners
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When