George Lucas clarifies his role on the new 'Star Wars': 'I don’t really have much to do'
Creator was previously named as a 'creative consultant' on 'Episode VII'
When it comes to the next chapter in the "Star Wars" saga, it appears George Lucas won't be playing a hands-on role.
“Basically I’m not — I don’t really have much to do,” said the filmmaker in a recent interview with Access Hollywood, who caught up with him at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' 4th annual Governors Awards on Sunday.
Lucas was named as a "creative consultant" on "Episode VII" back in October, when the new installment was announced in a release touting Disney's purchase of LucasFilm for a cool $4 billion.
So what exactly does the "creative consultant" designation entail, then?
“[If the filmmakers ask],‘Who’s this guy?’ I can tell them,” said Lucas. “I mean, they have a hundred encyclopedias and things, but I actually know a lot. I can say, ‘This is this and this is that.’”
Also present at the AMPAS event was Lucas' "Indiana Jones" partner-in-crime Steven Spielberg, prompting Access to ask Lucas whether the "Lincoln" director himself would ever consider taking a stab at the "Star Wars" franchise.
“I’m pretty sure he’d never want to do that!” said Lucas. “I don’t think he’d want to.”
So who will end up with the coveted gig? While no name has been officially announced, the "Star Wars" rumor-mill has certainly been buzzing, with helmers including Colin Trevorrow ("Safety Not Guaranteed"), Matthew Vaughn ("X-Men: First Class"), Brad Bird ("Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol") and Jon Favreau ("Iron Man") named as potential contenders (though some, including Bird, have already pooh-poohed the talk surrounding their possible involvement).
"Star Wars: Episode VII" is slated for release sometime in 2015.
News From Our Partners
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)